Black Friday

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Withak, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It's "Black Friday" here in the US - the day after Thanksgiving when people flood stores all over the country by the millions, shopping for that must have gift - for themselves ;) Many of my family members and friends were up this morning at 3:00am to get a jump on the big sales this morning. It's amazing how much this has grown over the years. 25 years ago, I worked for a local retailer. We opened the day after Thanksgiving at 7am, which was early for us. There might have been 30-40 people outside. Now, at any one store, there can be hundreds, even thousands. It's just crazy.

As for me, my day off work is quiet, at home. I'm checking some threads and making some final touch-ups and banding some slingshots. Funny, somehow I don't feel like I'm missing out on a thing by not showing up with the crazed masses trying to get the best deals on a new thingamawhatchamacallit :D

Happy Black Friday everyone!

2. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Black Friday has hit the UK in a big way this year. It confuses me though, the day after giving thanks for what you already have people will trample each other to get discounts on stuff they dont need......crazy I tell you!!!

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I'm with you, Withak. I'm spending my Black Friday on the patio sanding down a new slingshot. I got all day so I'll post pics once I get it polished and oiled.

-Wild Bill

4. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

im wondering how long till this american corporate "tradition" is coming to the netherlands
    we now have imported already valentine, halloween and st patricksday is slowly getting its foot in here to (i know its irish but it came to us through th US)

5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

No´msayin´?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c708Rinx6hE[/ame]

Idiocracy!

yours sincerely,

H.Camachu

6. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Well, when it gets there, you can keep it ;)

What I'm wondering is how long until enough people here wise up and stop encouraging all these stores - if they wouldn't show up, the stores wouldn't open in the first place. Thankfully, not everyone here thinks it's an important part of the holiday.

7. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

It´s because of brain-piercing ads not being regulated to protect us
    from stupidity at ALL. "It´s got electrolytes!"- "No additives in this tobacco"

- To not talk about tobacco accumulating POLONIUM 210...

Chupa Chups with 0,00% FAT! - (100% sugar)

All mixed up with emotional crap, wellness and all sorts of
    BULLSh IT to distract our minds, AND MAKE US BUY!

please go to youtube:

Derren Brown:

- at the mall "right arm up" (lovely for germans)
    - paying with blank paper

aso

Our free will is an illusion-
    brain research revealed that our brains DECIDE
    15! seconds before we feel like "making" a decision...

We should rethink and redefine "humanity"!

Be

8. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

9. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Black Friday starts on Thanksgiving now.
    I had to work.

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

My wife and I have in the past been up at 3 AM for a really good deal. Last year was a 42" HD plasma.

This year we really don't need anything in so we enjoyed a nice relaxing day at home. I took the turkey carcass and boiled it up to make soup base. Some I'll share with my mom, some goes in the freezer for that day cold blustery day when I just need a pot of soup.

Most of the left over turkey went into a hot dish.

3-5 stalks of celery cut up and saute'd in a big pan with a bit of oil.
    While that is starting to cook I'll cut up mostly left over white meat.
    Now I prefer dark meat, and I'll eat ALL of the dark meat on a 10 lb turkey over 3 days.
    But my wife, prefers white meat and won't eat near as much. So mostly white meat goes in, but you can adjust to fit your needs.

Anyway add turkey to pan, and a bit of water. Now if you have left over turkey gravy, that is KILLER in this. If you don't, or don't have much, drop in a can of Cambell's cream of Mushroom soup. It will accomplish the same thing.

Seasonings, I always add a pinch of sage, and poultry seasoning. and a touch of curry.
    I know a lot of people like their foot spicy, feel free to use as much, or as little as you like.

I don't use much, maybe 1/8th -1/10th of a teaspoon. But it gives this a unique flavor.

When all is cooked, turkey starting to fall apart, celery softening, add 1 bag of chow mien noodles, mix well, and turn into an oven dish.

Half an hour at 350- 400 degrees, or until it starts bubbling. Don't need to overcook this one, just want everything hot and bubbly, flavors married and everyone happy.

Feel free to add whatever else you like, but what I listed is the bare bones.

Its Chow Mien Noodle Hot dish and the curry saves it from being boring.

11. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Good stuff, Ghosth. My wife's 'picking the carcass' now. We usually split the gleanings between us. She makes a soup very similar to what you described above, while I make a casserole. I'll roll out a pound or so of Fettuccine pasta (homemade, not bagged/boxed- but I suppose that would work too), cook it, and into a big casserole dish goes the pasta, cans of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, mixed veggies, shredded cheese and various spices. Yummy stuff.

-Wild Bill

12. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Black Friday is evil. I refuse to shop the stores, I'll shop online.

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I think too many people miss out on the wonderful creation that is turkey bone soup. I've watched many a carcass thrown in the trash rather than into a pot. Such a waste. Your recipe here sounds really good. Alas, this year we have no carcass and there were no leftovers at the dinner we went to, so no chance to try out a great 'leftover' recipe.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Bummer. I worked in restaurants and retail for 7 years. I worked every holiday, except for Christmas every one of those years. The day after Thanksgiving was always bad (not as bad as today though), but of all the days, the day after Christmas was always the worst. Returns, returns, returns. And what little patience people had before Christmas was all gone the day after Christmas. I worked in the electronics section, and of course most people bought the cheapest electronics on sale, and were then surprised (and angry) when they didn't work. I feel for anyone that has to deal with holiday shoppers. I've never forgotten my time in those jobs and always try to be extra nice to servers and retail workers.

15. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Withik I totally agree.

Take one large pot, half full of water, 1 turkey carcass, dismembered. (Once cooked it is easy to pull breastbone away from back, etc so all gets below water.)

2 chicken bullion cubes, a dash of sage, poultry seasoning, and if brave a touch of curry.

Bring to a slow boil for about an hour. Set outside to cool for a bit. Now I throw EVERYTHING in mine, left over skin, giblets, tail, all of it.

After it is cooled enough so you don't burn yourself I strain the broth into a pitcher. Then grab a stool and start seperating meat from bone, gristle from meat, etc. A dash of salt on some of the thicker skin pieces makes a great snack while your working on it. Once all is done bones, gristle and whatever you consider yucky stuff in garbage, I bring the meat and the strained broth back into the pot. (I do the straining because my wife will always find at least one bone, and gag, never fails.)

Bring back to a low simmer, and add 3-4 stalks of celery cut up, 1 cup of rice (I'm an Uncle Ben's fan) I'll take a carrot or 2 and after they are peeled I will use the peeler to cut razor thin slices into the soup. You can do chunks if you prefer. Simmer for an hour or until a spoon almost stands up in a bowl of this.

This stock works just as well with noodles, I just happen to prefer the turkey/rice combo.

But feel free to experiment, and post!

There is NOTHING better when you have a cold to have a nice hot "thick" bowl of this.

16. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Cyber Monday is where it's at! Stay home and get great deals

17. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Wait, what? A holiday to buy gifts for yourself? What's the point of that? Madness!