Bit of fun - Child friendly slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by VWscooby, Nov 19, 2013.

1. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

My four year old daughter always helps out when I'm building any slingshot and wanted one of her own. I didn't think my newest tactical style gloveshot would be suitable for her so made her a little natural and lovingly oiled it with linseed oil.

Apparently it wasn't girly enough so I made it suitable for a 4 year old by mixing glitter with CA. It needs a final sanding then i'll get a few more pics. I think it will look great in natural light and the little one likes it so thats the main thing :)

[​IMG]

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

3. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Great idea. My nine year old daughter thinks it's got "Bling!" She said the purple Gold's Gym bands would match it perfectly... Gotta love our Baby Girls..!

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Ive ordered some baby pink bands to go with it so as soon as they are here I'll post an update :)

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

My daughter is 30 and wants a shooter with a purple background and... and... sparkly pink zebra stripes.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

My 3.5 year old son wants a slingshot if his own.

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I suppose I'll have to make something like that now...

8. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

BLING! I love it!

9. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That sounds like the resigned tone of a man who knows his future is going to contain a lot of pink, sparkly fluffiness! The joy of having girls!

Get building then! :)

Good idea your daughter had. I cant seem to find them in the UK though :( So will have to stick with the pink bands. Should still look pretty good though. :)

So girls don't grow out of that 'sparkly' stage then Flipgun?!! :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  11. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

She can even have discos now ;)

J

12. Flipgun

"So girls don't grow out of that 'sparkly' stage then Flipgun?!!"

Apparently not. My sister-in-law is 70 and a papercrafter and is still knocking out sparkly stuff.:rolleyes:

13. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

Making a child friendly slingshot is a superb idea in general! Like that glittery stuff and can imagine a less colorful version even to myself :). Please collect your experiences and share with us. Size, band strength and other things.

Thanks for sharing!

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

So the pink bands have turned up and shes all ready to shoot!

[​IMG]

They are comically small! Cut straight 2cm and only 15cm long for a 30cm draw. Didnt want her having to pull on the bands too hard until she is used to it. They are very light bands but fire plastic 5mm airsoft BBs brilliantly!

Few things I would change next time I built one like this. First, I wouldn't oil the wood first! There are a couple of very small patches where the glitter hasn't taken. Easy to touch up though so no problems there.
    Secondly I wouldn't use CA as a finish. Its either the fact that the surface isnt smooth or the aluminum in the glitter that means it takes ages to dry. So there are a few imperfections in the finish. I would use automotive spray lacquer next time I think.

I guess I'm just being a bit too critical over a toy, the little ones response was "Oh daddy, its perfect!" so I guess thats good enough! :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  16. Flipgun

Looks Great! That is a Memory Makin" Machine there!:cool:

17. Skorps

Skorps Senior Member

Acctualy my wife saw this SS and told me that i have to do one like this for our daughter when she´s at the age to using it. :eek::D

18. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

19. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

if you got an "Oh daddy, its Perfect" sir, well, you done well! :)

20. v-nasty

v-nasty New Member

nice slingshot man

Nice slingshot but
    i dont think i gonna give a four year old a slingshot