Birch ply thickness

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by NytraM, Jul 21, 2012.

1. NytraM

NytraM New Member

Ok so i have some 3/4" latvian birch ply, and kinda want some half inch stuff, i think i know the answer to this but is there an easy way for me to take off the 6mm extra? i know basically what i have taught myself about woodworking, so some of my methods and knowledge is a bit patchy to say the least<br><br>or if any1s in uk and has some, id quite happily trade some of my 3/4" for some diff thickness, only a smallish bit tho so the postage is easy and cheap n cheerful. its B/BB quality, and id give u a bit without any plugs anyway. or some nice hardwood, i dunno i need some general stuff and have too much ply, and i always thought money should be abolished and every1 just trade <br><br>right, time to get in the garden, bought some pen blanks to finish off some handles, and the weathers been terrible recently and i dont have an inside space to work in so its been a while, im so excited hahahahaha

2. Bert the Welder

Bert the Welder New Member

Are you laminating other wood on to the 1/2" ( using the 1/2" for the core)? If this is why you need it 1/2", then you could, if you have one, run the blank through a band saw or table saw, like you would when cutting veneer wood. Make a jig to hold the blank. <br>Or put it through a planer. The glue can be hard on the blades though. <br>If your without these tools, could try to chisel the layers off.

3. NytraM

NytraM New Member

thanks for the reply mate, you are correct in thinking im wanting to use it for the core<br><br>since posting i have located a table saw so ill try using that, but otherwise i was thinking of chipping off the layers<br><br>my local wood guy however is keeping me in mind for offcuts of other thicknesses, due to me going in a million times and probably really annoying him<br><br>cheers again for the help!