Birch fork - number four shape

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JohnKrakatoa, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

This is great, the city sent some folks to clean the trees in front of our flat..and I stole this when they went lunching. Only shame that the one arm is so angled...but still workable.

I WOULD LOVE Input from you all as to how I should shape this (hammer grip, pinch or fork support and other things regarding the design of the finished piece). TY

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

You can make an assymetrical shooter!

Attached Files:

3. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I'm with our doc :)

Great find

J

4. JohnKrakatoa

yep I had smething like that in my mind from the start BV I agree. Thanks for the drawing.

5. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

Oh! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I love the shape!

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Yeah, I too believe Dr.BV drew a very good prescription for that fork shape!

7. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I want to ask but isn't birch actually quite weak or am I thinking of something else? I know that hardwood doesn't mean it is physically hard or softwood being soft .

Just to make it clear (trying to learn and make progress :))

J

8. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

That looks like white birch possibly... If so,it's pretty dense and tight grained similar to maple if your familiar with that. However, around here when they die standing,or lie on the ground very long, they turn into punky mush inside the "paper-like" bark

9. JohnKrakatoa

White birch is not common in europe. This is either Betula pendula or pubescens(giggle) or a mutant of the two.

Here is a really good article about birch but in slovak so use google translate(the specs are understandable). According to this birch is medium hard wood. I think it will make a good frame.

10. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I was wondering myself as for the regional status considering it looks quite similar to the white that is fairly common here. We also have black and yellow types but unsure of the actual species... Thanks for the info though! I just looked at Wikipedia and had no idea there were that many...

11. JohnKrakatoa

Yeah... botany is exciting...I have to study up on it too. Pendula is called silver birch nn english wiki.

12. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

I' d start to shape the handle and make it fit to my hand. Rasps and files 'til i "feel it".
    Then start working on the fork, it have already a unique shape... ;)
    Nice fork!

13. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

awesome fork i hope it holds up and shapes up nice!!