Bill Hays scorpion design by Captain Bacon

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by CaptainBacon, Dec 1, 2013.

1. CaptainBacon

CaptainBacon Knowledgeable Man

I wanted to try a design by Bill Hays called the Scorpion. This is a ttf shooter (oh really?) that has a very wide fork gap. This frame is about 5" wide.
    20131201_160952.jpg

Strength comes from 3/4" of baltic birch plywood, although 1/2" of the stuff is sufficient. The palm swell is black walnut, which is glued and pinned with maple dowels simply for the contrast. The finish is just one quick wipe-down with linseed oil.
    20131201_161036.jpg

And that red rubber on here is nothing less than home cut linatex. This stuff bands up beautifully, and has a dramatic pull for just one layer. No surprise with the stuff being so thick.

20131201_161058.jpg

I have heavily contoured each side of the frame for maximum ergonomics.

20131201_161106.jpg

And I have also done what Bill likes to do, and canted my forks backwards to compensate for the angle of the wrist while shooting. I may adopt this concept for future builds because it really adds depth to the shape of the finished frame, and makes for a more pleasing shooting experience.

20131201_161124.jpg

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

I do love me some black walnut. Nicely done, Sir!

-Wild Bill

3. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Very nice! The contouring looks smooth & comfy too and the walnut is a great contrast! One of my top 3 favorite woods.

5. Catamantaloedis

Catamantaloedis Junior Member

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I would love me some black walnut... unfortunately all I've found locally are veneers and pen blanks

7. CaptainBacon

Thanks guys. That walnut was from a slab I bought a year ago at the Woodworkers Show that comes through my area every January. I spent $30, and was able to make a guitar and several slingshots, among other things. I'm going to be going back in January with lumber on my mind.

I'm going to play with this design a bit. Maybe make the forks even wider, and the grip even more contoured and supportive. I've got to find a way to perfectly distribute the force of the draw on my hand. I may use clay in order to make a visual aid for what I've got to shoot for in a grip. Any thoughts on this?

8. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

What's your area?!?!
    $30 and you got enough walnut to make a guitar AND slingshots! That sounds like a wonderful place

9. CaptainBacon

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

Check that link and find out if they come by you. I live in Maryland, but the area isn't specific to the price. Since it's a woodworking show, you're bound to find deals.

As for my yield of the piece, I'm very good at getting the most out of my materials.

10. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Great work!

well done.
    Thanks for posting!

Greetings,

Be

11. jasonmusic1

jasonmusic1 Member

That's pretty. I am trying to make one but finding making the template very difficult for some reason.

12. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Fine and Artful execution.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Threadcromancy strikes again!

14. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Great work Cap'n.

15. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

I dont like TTF so much, but this wide I wouldn't mind it :) Looks good.

16. Whittler

Whittler New Member

I didn't think I would till I built one. The shot consistency for my style of shooting went up exponentially. I still like OTT but for my real shooter I will probably always use TTF now.:)

17. Jeb

Jeb Baba Hunter

Funny how many of us think alike. I saw this and thought: I'll post how much I love black walnut... but better read through the other posts first. Ha. Well, I'll say it anyway (not just hopping on the band wagon) - love that black walnut.

18. GoodRum

GoodRum Slingshot Newb

That looks fantastic! Great work!