Bill Hayes/Flipgun Inspired

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Withak, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Most of my slingshots to date have been naturals. And while I do really enjoy making naturals, I want to expand my experience to other styles. I placed an order though Simple-Shot and picked up a 3-pack of some nice birch multiplex as part of the 'build your own Rambone' kit. I wasn't planning on building the Rambone at this time, I just wanted to get a little multiplex to try it out.

I tend to build primarily for other people. If I try to build for myself, it tends not to get finished, so participating in the Global Trade, for example, is the best way to keep me going. I was contacted by one of the newer members, Codido187, who asked if I'd be willing to do a trade - his offer was for some paracord items in exchange for a slingshot. Well, I've wanted to add a few paracord items, so I agreed. I had already traced a few patterns on to one of the multiplex blanks and I decided to use the one I traced from a nice shooter that Flipgun had sent me as a thank you for helping out with Will's surprise package recently. What Flip had sent me was a Bill Hayes style slingshot made from multiplex. You can see it takes inspiration from the Hathcock Target Sniper and the Boy Scout, though there are differences.

I have a Hathcock Target Sniper. It's a nice piece, but it's big, at least for my hands. I find it's like trying to grip a full sized Glock or 1911, just a bit of a stretch for me. I had wished it was a bit smaller. Enter Flip's piece. First off, it's smaller, maybe about 70% of the size of a Hathcock. It's also got narrower forks and is a bit more rounded. I really like his version, so I traced it exactly and made the cut on my new band saw. I don't think this cut would have gone well with my jig saw and would have been a lot of extra work with the coping saw.

I spent some time at the drill press with a couple of drum sanding attachments, followed by some extra time with a file and hand sanding. The finish was done with the Le Tonkinois that BeMahoney had sent me in a trade last year. I gave it 2 coats of this thick finish and did a final buff using some 0000 steel wool to smooth out any remaining rough areas. You'll notice that one face is lighter than the other, just a matter of the variations in the wood itself as the whole slingshot was coated evenly.

In the end, I think my first work on multiplex turned out fairly decent. Multiplex is really nice to work with. I suspect I'm going to have to find a source for some of this stuff nearby since my local home stores and wood suppliers don't seem to carry it in stock.

She's packed up and on her way to her new home this morning. Here are some photos for you to check out. I'd love to hear your feedback and any constructive criticism you may have. The first photo shows the slingshot before I applied the finish, just for a reference.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Very nice! I really love this design, it lends itself to so much creative interpretation and personalization! You did a great job Withak!

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks Will! It is a great design, and wasn't too tough to turn out. I have a feeling I'll be making more of these in the future. And at this size, it fits the hand really well - this could even fit a pocket, well a large pocket :)

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Turned out really nice, quality wood and quality work!

Always liked this design, good choice and if this is a first attempt at using ply I see some great projects in your future :)

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Thanks VWScooby! I didn't have time to do any laminates on this one, but in the future, I'll be looking to use the multiplex as a core and laminate some other materials on top of it. The multiplex is nice, utilitarian, but kind of plain on its own.

6. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

It turned out great, good job Withak!

7. codido187

codido187 New Member

That slingshot is beautiful I can't wait to shoot it. I am way more excited to see it now you did an awesome job man thank you.

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

I had one last thing to add to your package so I will be sending it hopefully on my lunch hour. I hope you like what I've sent you just a few little things and a few first attempts.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Fantastic looking shooter.

10. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Great work. A lot of curves to saw, but it's a great design.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

@Ravensbull - thanks man!

@Jeremy - thank you also!

@Codido187 - mine left this morning, should be there by Monday or Tuesday. Glad you like what I see, I hope you enjoy shooting it.

12. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

Nice and clean Sling.
    Good Job Withak!

13. codido187

codido187 New Member

Cool man I'll send mine hopefully on lunch if nothing crazy at work happens :)

14. Markatrog

Markatrog Member

Very cool, I want one

15. codido187

codido187 New Member

My package will be in the mail for you Monday or Tuesday wensday the latest my wife is sending it in for me

16. dolomite

dolomite Banned

E, I told you a while back that you were no regular newb, here's another example showing my point. Your first natural was quite good, and so is your first plex boardcut. You certainly have a way with finishing, looks great!

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

@Slingpit - thank you!

@Antraxx - much appreciated!

@Dolomite - thanks man. I am trying to learn from what I see here. There are some amazing craftspeople such as yourself here and I know I've got a lot to learn before I can hope to match that level of work. Each slingshot is a chance to improve, so I welcome the opportunity each one brings. You've been one of those who have been supporting me since I started here and I really appreciate it.

18. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I love it, very simple and elegant. I usually go way overboard with my slings, carving designs, burning patterns (and myself), little intricate details that either turn out either OK at best and look messy most of the time

19. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

WOO-HOO! Dang Boi! Knocked it out of the park on the first pitch. That looks Good!

20. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

@kohlqez - thanks - I tend to shy away from lots of fancy stuff - mostly because I don't yet have the skill for it. In time, I should be burning and cutting myself with the best of them.

@Flipgun - I've got you to thank for sending me that nice shooter, without that, I wouldn't have made this one. That one stays with me though ;)