Best way to varnish?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ABH, Mar 24, 2013.

1. ABH

ABH New Member

There are many ways to varnish regulary flat or curved surfaces,with a cloth, with brushes, with gloves... But what is the best way?, to have a really thin, smoth and glassy layers? Also which type of varnish? Is car chrome polish thjat durable and weather resistant to be used as varnish? Thanks for reading and hopefully for answering...

2. dayday059

dayday059 New Member

The way I do it is after heavy sanding I stain it ( various darkness ) then I give many layers of clear coat to give it a nice shine

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

when i use varnish i brush on thin layers and let them dry really good, crome polish is for shine, not for protection from water i think

4. dayday059

dayday059 New Member

Clear coat does the same as chrome shiner. Bu way cheaper. Could save you some money.

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

When I want to make something shiny, I just sand it very good and add one layer of wood-laquer. Thats it. Works very good!

6. dayday059

dayday059 New Member

Is wood-laquer something you have to make or can you buy it at any hardware store<br>

7. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I think you can buy it in any regular wood-working shop... I get mine at school tough.

8. dayday059

dayday059 New Member

Well Ile look into it then

9. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

I use wood parquet floor varnish, extremely tough stuff.