best stickshot setup ever?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by thomasmaca45, Jan 14, 2014.

1. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

I have a Stickshot which is just purely a stick. I tried it a couple of times with different band sets and never really liked it. Until, i put one piece of Thera tube black (32cm long) and the string is 13 cm long.
    I use 16 mm steel balls and shoot in butterfly, it has about a 7kg (15 pounds) draw weight.
    I also tried 20 mm steel balls with this and it shoots alright.

The thing that surprised me was the power that I got with the 16 mm steel, i urge you to try this setup, and i hope you like it.

2. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey Thomas,

folks around here fear the RTS-risk of stickshots.
    I believe most of them thought "oh boy, hopefully
    he won´t hurt himself!" - being hit by only a 16mm
    steelball after a full-butterfly 7kg draw might
    change your perspective irreversibly? !!!

I don´t try to act on you, or sound like a teacher.
    Just try to point out the risk..

Be safe!

3. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

thank you for you warning.
    I have shot it about 200 times and have 100% confidence that it will not come back, i have even shot this when the string and pouch are tangled and still accurate.
    But again thank you

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It's funny, I shot stickshots and PFS before I joined any forum and never ever thought about RTS or fork hits. Then I came online and saw that everyone was really scared and paranoid. Really not sure why! Sounds like you have the technique down. I have a couple of stickshots but may make a 'nice' one and try your setup. Thanks!:)

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Stickshots seem to be a love em' or hate em' type of item. I have two that I made a while ago and have never had a problem with them other than my own poor accuracy. I think how you set up the pouch attachment is key. The best I've seen is a piece of tubing (like the Dankung rubber tubing) from one hole of the pouch to the other, then have the flatband connected to that. The tubing forces the pouch to open on release, which reduces the chance for an RTS shot to occur. I haven't tried that setup myself yet, but may just do so to see what happens.

6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thats the setup I use. A piece of tubing +50% of the width of the pouch with the flatband attached. No problems :)

7. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I definitely need to try that setup. I've always found the style of shooter interesting but I know there's not a lot of love for them. I've got some nice pieces of wood that wouldn't work for a slingshot, but would make decent stick shooters, I just hate to see it go to waste.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

There is a picture of my last one in one of my threads, here

9. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's right, I had already forgot about the KC shooter!

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Just like the playoffs have ;)