Best material to use on bands - Spy pistol crossbow

Discussion in 'Slingshot Crossbows' started by bobhaha, Oct 18, 2013.

1. bobhaha

bobhaha New Member

I made a spy pistol crossbow today. First build ever, I think it came out pretty well :D

But after about a dozen shots the material I used to connect the therma-band gold ruber keeps breaking. I have even resorted to using picture hanging wire (7 strand - 12kg metal wire). But that still breaks too.

I'm wondering what is the best material to use? I have seen Joerg use paracord, but I can't find any that is 1.5mm thick. I need something strong and wear resistant. Would bow string work?

[​IMG]

2. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

if you want strong thin rope i suggest you take a look at Dyneema aka amsteel, or zing-it
    i use a 3 mm amsteel wire to hang my hammock from no problem

3. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

for my slingshot pistol crossbow 2, I have watteled 3 strings of paracord together. Works fine![ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsBrQmwylV0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsBrQmwylV0[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. Otees

Otees Another Member

The trigger mechanism you use might be a bit rough, it happened to mine. I sanded the trigger as finely as I could and oiled the string with baby oil (essentially mineral oil with fragrance) and trigger mechanism with linseed oil (I applied lots where string connects). This is all done to reduce abrasion. I hope this helps.

5. Otees

Otees Another Member

^^^^^^So the string must be strong to hold weight of TBG but the tension of the string moving against the trigger is virtually sawing the string. My string had the paracord outside layer shaved off because of abrasion. The page that you suggested is good but there is always possibilities of abrasion (Much like how in rock climbing they dislike you putting the rope on the dirt as it cuts the fibers. Good luck though :)!!

6. Tilia

Tilia Junior Member

i would go for 3 or 4 mm

paracoord sucks... just my humble opinion as some one who used it a lot in the wilderness

everybody seems to love the stuff (probably because edward grills says its good)
    but i hate it...
    its not that strong for it thickness, it sucks water, when wet its difficult to get lose some times, when wet it freezes easy and is very hard to work with, the mantel seems to snag on everything sticking out and it stretches a lot

just my 2 cents

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  7. bobhaha

bobhaha New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the great suggestion! Dyneema string is a very good substitute for what I had. Very strong and very durable. Made my bow pistol a lot stronger.