Beer bottle cap launcher

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by Will, May 12, 2013.

1. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm really thinking its time I invent a beer bottle cap launcher. Those bottle caps seem to reproduce at a really shocking rate around here. Every morning there is a new litter of them on my porch. The insect exterminator said he couldn't help me, but did agree that I have a regular infestation :)
    Time to start drinking...uh...I mean drawing!!;)

2. BrPio

BrPio .

Awsome idea. We would have an unlimited ammo supply.:D

3. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Exactly!! And I think that it would provide lots of fun while I am creating its ammunition!

4. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Yes, those are the ones. And you are absolutely correct, they don't like to fly, nor can they be struck or pushed by a band and and made to fly. However, they do fly fairly well if thrown by spinning them off of your finger in a side-arm fashion (like skipping a flat stone on water). They would essentially need to be thrown in a manner similar to Joerg's circular saw blade launcher, only much smaller.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

cool idea, if you made a tiny circ. saw blade launcher it might work...

7. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

There might actually be a way to drive these little vermin from behind with a rubber powered hit.

I remember having a toy gun as a kid that shot little plastic discs about the size of a U S penny. A curved piece engaged the discs from the back and shot them spinning good out a flatwise slot. It even had a magazine of discs stacked on a spring.

If you can get one of these to study it might spark ideas.

This is a most worthy project. Universal, free ammo for a home-brew plinkin gun? Yes, please.

8. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

This is exactly what I had:D:D

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Thanks for that idea! I will do some research and see if I can find the shooter you mention. I would much prefer to fire them conventionally rather than fling them with an 'arm thrower'

10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

If you fold them you should be able to shoot them with a regular slingshot/ sling-x-bow :)

11. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

While playing around with some different ideas, I came up with an interesting discovery. It seems that by laying the cap flat on its back and then propelling it from behind so that it passes the side of a strong magnet, it is imparting a rotational spin to the cap and helping to stabilize it. I'm wondering if a properly spaced series of magnets along the 'barrel' would increase this spin.
    I'm actually surprised, this whole idea was only ever half-serious (and that half was inspired by alcohol), but it might actually be made!

12. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

that magnet sounds like a good idea, i wouldn't use too much tho because they slow the cap down

ps. the best ideas are always inspired on something, and alcohol works like a charm to inspire ;)

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

FIAAO's thought about using a regular launcher got me vizualizing a magazine/pump style gun set up like the Oreo or M10 hexnut gun.

The magnet could go right under the muzzle.
    Then, when things in our vicinity really need to be punished:

Triple the rubber and fill 'em up with lead;)
    Density of lead with edged ammo damage.....tasty. all for just the labor if tire weights come free.

14. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I'm still playing around with different designs, but I think I am getting closer. The only way I can see to fire these little pests, is to strike the cap from behind with a curved, rubber-powered 'sled.' A pouch will not work, and their profile is too low for a string to grab them. However, I am getting closer. Little metal cockroaches, your days are numbered! :D