BB shootet vs. soda can

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Jeremy, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Below are there pictures of a soda can I have been shooting with my BB shooter. The bands broke on it today sonic won't be able to use it for a bit.

Attached Files:

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Nibbled to death!:eek:

3. Jeremy

Only problem is the BBs ricochet like a bigger when shooting a soda can.

4. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

5. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

that can got a "professional massage" Jeremy, now looks much better ! go for the heavier ammo to get the perfect "sound" (PLAFFF ... I love it) ha ha
    cheers

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I really wanna make a bb shooter, but I only have TBG and TTS is does anyone know how thick I should make the TBG so it's not so dangerous and can just be a fun little plunked?

7. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

I believe that TTS is too much, go with a thin cut of TBG, maybe 1cm or less
    cheers

8. Jeremy

The bands on mine broke today, they are TBG. I'll measure them tomorrow and post the measurements here.

9. Jeremy

The bands are 8 inches long and 5/8 inch tapered to 3/8 inches.

Or in metric: 203.2 millimeters long , 16 mm tapered to 10 mm.

Hope that helps.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

BB's may not be super powerful, but they are fun - nothing better than being able to pick one up, indoors and let loose knowing you won't do too much damage - it's a nice way to get some quick shooting in. I am really enjoying the heavy airsoft BB's since they're just a bit bigger and don't slip from my fingers so quickly - and in my experience they do hit harder than steel BB's. Shooting cans with BB's may not show them who's boss, but you can certainly show them who the mid-level manager is! I will also say that, for my BB shooters, I do prefer TBB over TBG, but that's just my preference. I typically use about 1/2" to maybe 3/4" width with no taper - the bands last a bit longer that way.

11. Jeremy

The bands I got were the ones that came on the BB shooter when I bought it. Right now I'm not set up to make my own bands.

Do you find the Airsoft BBs decrease band life at all? I shot some light weight airsoft BBs out of mine and I wonder if that caused the bands to break a bit earlier.

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I haven't noticed anything like that yet because I use small bands and a small pouch, so the smaller load isn't a problem. I'm not usually trying to break speed records or knock down a big target, so I'm just happy if my bands will get me enough speed and power for an accurate hit with some penetration. The heavy airsoft BB's (like the .43g) are heavier than the steel BB's and I seem to get better performance from them. Just keep in mind, like the steel BB's, they are bound to ricochet when they don't penetrate. I tend to avoid harder surfaces like metal or plastic targets, at least indoors and stick with paper and cardboard to be safer. I can get the .43g airsoft BB's to penetrate cardboard with no problem. Actually, stuff animals make a nice target if you can sneak them away from your daughter...and she doesn't find out :) Hello Kitty is just asking for it.

Interesting little story about slingshots and Hello Kitty. My daughter's school has each family do a presentation each year to the students (it's a small school) to introduce ourselves. They always want to know our hobbies, so I brought some slingshots to show. My daughter brought her Hello Kitty collection. One of the teachers asked if I could launch a Hello Kitty with a slingshot (pretty cool teacher). I'd never tried it, but my daughter actually agreed to let me try. I grabbed the only slingshot with wide enough forks - a "W" made from 3/4" schedule 40 PVC and banded with a single layer of TBG and gave it a go - it launched it about 30'! Pretty cool, and no RTS, though I imagine a Hello Kitty RTS would have to be the most cuddly RTS you can get. My daughter has no idea what kind of ideas she allowed to creep into my head by saying yes to that request yesterday :D

13. Jeremy

I may need to get a band tying rig, and figure out how to tie constrictor knots. I have the pouch from my BB shooter still, just don't have a way to secure the bands with some stretch. Until I can make my own, I have to buy my bands and A+ is the only place I know that sells BB shooter bands.

I still may have to try the .43 grain airsoft BBs. I do like the size of the few I have on hand.

14. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

No need for all that. I still tie my bands without a jig/rig and without using constrictor knots, just like I learned from many folks here. It's not too difficult to do, all you need is the raw materials - some Theraband (Ebay is a cheap source), some leather for pouches and a rotary cutter like Fiskar. With that, you can make band sets all day long. PM coming.

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

That can is the definition of a war of attrition!

Like Withak said, you don't need a jig or have to tie knots. Just rubber and a piece of string (easier than pliers). A jig would only make it more fiddley in my opinion. Im sure Withak can explain it perfectly :)

Right, Im off to the kitchen to get a can of coke then off upstairs to get a Hello Kitty toy to fling at it!

16. Jeremy

I forgot about the wrap and tuck method to attach the bands to the pouch.