Barnacules Nerdgasm 3D Printed Rambone

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Barnacules, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Barnacules

Barnacules Barnacules

Hello,

I just recently 3D printed "The Rambone" from the STL files provided by Joerg and I'm amazed with the results. I used an old fitness band as my sling and rubber bands and it works fantastic. This is my first slingshot I've ever put together and used since I was just a little kid and man this has got me hooked again.

I created a video of the whole process end to end from downloading the file to shooting paintballs with it. Hope you guys enjoy it!

[ame="http://youtu.be/Mbu5xcL9o98"]http://youtu.be/Mbu5xcL9o98[/ame]

2. LW

LW New Member

See you printing the Rambone…speechless! That’s so cool!

That makes me jealous.

But you definitely have to learn how to make some real working Band sets! ;)

Your videos are entertaining…

3. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Great video dude!! Your man/nerd-cave looks awesome!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

5. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Really enjoyed that video :) The Rambone looks really cool in gold and it was great watching it print and seeing how it layered and formed the contours. Just another piece of kit to add to my wish list *sigh*

I did hold breath everytime you fired that bandset though ;)

Good stuff, thumbs up! :)

6. RAWICE

RAWICE New Member

I would really like to get a 3d printer :(

7. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Great video. I do agree that a proper bandset with a pouch is needed, but it was a fantastic and entertaining video. I hope to see you around the forum.

8. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

save up and get one. even now you can get one for 299 usd if you assemble it yourself. And in the near future theyll get cheaper and cheaper.

9. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Wow thats half the price of the cheapest one i can find in the UK :(

10. JohnKrakatoa

11. Barnacules

Barnacules Barnacules

Thank you! Yeah I know I need to do a real band now, I'll order up some good material now that I enjoy the hobby so much. But I'm one of those people that likes to try something without any external influence first even if it ends in failure just to see what my brain comes up with. I feel like if I do it the right way right out of the gate I'll never get that creativity out :p

After the first band snapped and put a pretty good sting on my hand I was also a little scared every time I drew it back. But I'm not going to lie the fear did make it a little more exciting. Also it still blows my mind how hard it was firing those paintballs and how accurate it was. I don't remember my slingshots I had when I was a kid being that powerful or accurate.

Thank you, you will see me around for sure. Doing this video got me hooked and now I want to get my 3D CAD skills up to snuff so I can design my own slingshot!

Take it from me since I have two printers ($800 USD) and ($2400 USD). The cheap printers you build yourself will not achieve the same results as the higher end more expensive printers and will require a lot of tweaking and fumbling. Make sure you start off with a solid printer that has a lot of reviews and is known for being accurate because a lot of these do it yourself printers just don't produce a smooth result and also take much longer to print. Just food for thought!

12. JohnKrakatoa

thanks for your exp with printers, thats what i wanted to ask you anyway. I just saw that printer recently so thought Id share it. I have nill exp with them..but they have it in decription that that one is just for starting with printing.

What I also wanted to ask, how much did it cost to print that gold rambone all together on material (even electricity)?

Thanks and welcome to the infected asylum xD

13. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Really great but I also agree with the proper bandset, the art of weapons has a great tutorial on YouTube on how to make them, best of luck, hope to see you more in the future :)

14. Barnacules

Barnacules Barnacules

I have not done a total cost estimate but the material cost is probably about $5 and the electricity would be no more then 50 cents USD (on a high estimate).

I'll check it out, I might just order up some bands from the big guy himself Joerg :p

15. Barnacules

Barnacules Barnacules

Quick little Instagram of me firing off a few paintballs this morning, the footage of the target didn't turn out so I only got footage of me drawing it. I want to get some bigger bands so I can do a full draw :p

http://instagram.com/p/i9aYR0JBXB/#

16. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Check out simple-shot.com they supply the Rambone to the US and have bandsets perfectly suited to it :)

I was wondering about the costs too, seem very reasonable for a 100% infill. I was curious, did you say it would be possible to print in wood?!

17. nice one mate!
    i have got a slingshot bands tutorial on my channel if you want to check it out (might help a bit)
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5eUhUPlDz8[/ame]
    also what 3d printer did you say that you had?
    i am looking to get a cheep one (arond £400?) that is not too hard to use and i was just wondering what you would recommend , i would not really be looking for a kit one though because i would not really know how to put it together.

18. Jack739

Jack739 Gun-'Slinger'

11:58 - 12:05

"Whooow, that actually worked a lot better than i was expecting"

Hahaha i said exactly the same words as i shot my first slingshot designed by Jörg the first time.. truely a very epic moment every time :D
    Your Video is very entertaining, i love that Printer and your sense of humor! It would be awesome to see more Videos of you, printing some nice slingshots.

19. JohnKrakatoa

Scooby I read about a partly wooden fillament and Barnacules even has some videos using it to print stuff.

20. Barnacules

Barnacules Barnacules

Yes, they make a 30% Wood 60% PLA/PHA composite material that I can print in. It looks and feels like MDF. Not sure if it would be good for a sling shot but there is only one way to find out, just waiting on the shipment to arrive.

That's funny, I actually used a rotory cutter, rubber mat and ruler just like you did :p No wonder my 2nd band is actually working now.

As for the 3D printers I have a Robo3D ($800) and Ultimaker v1 ($2000) and this was printed on the Ultimaker but would have printed fine on the Robo just would have taken probably 14 hours. Cheap printers usually have lots of little problems and require a lot of maintenance and calibration. It can be a little tedious. I love how easy it is to work with the Ultimaker but the Robo3D has a heated bed which reduces or elminates warping which is also nice.

I plan to do some more slingshots in the future, it was a lot of fun making that video. Check out some of my other videos too I have almost 270 of them uploaded now on a various amount of nerdy subjects!

Yeah, I printed a box with it and it turned out awesome!

Printing a Wooden Box w/ Lid