bands or tubing

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Aries, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Aries

Aries Member

HI, I'm new to making slingshots and I need some help. I need to know which is better, bands or tubing? For example: which is stronger, lasts longer, more efficient? Can I attach tubing the same way I attach bands or does it have to have a rod to slide on.
    Thanks.

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Hi there..... To simplify: bands use to result in stronger shots, tubes are more durable..... You must check the size and tapering of the bands to obtain more power or durability (when one goes up, the other goes down). Bands require specific roller cutter and cutting technique.
    You can attach bandas and tubes the same way, but it reduces the durability of the tube due to an "stress acumalation" on the point where the tube is "squeezed". But you can avoid it by attaching leather forming a ring on the tip of he fork...... Anything else, just ask. The link above is good!

3. Aries

Aries Member

Thanks Joe, If it's not too much to ask which do you prefer between bands and tubing. I have seen more about bands than tubes and was going to purchase some online but I wasn't sure which to get. I guess I really just need to know which will last longer before it needs replaced?
    Thanks again.

4. Aries

Aries Member

Thank you very much Brazilviking, that was exactly what I needed.

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

You are welcome. Have you tried Joerg's Thera Band Gold calculator? It works great!:)

6. Haecksler

Haecksler Naturalist

I would recommend you to use TBG.
    A few advantages are:
    -cheaper than commercial tubes
    -faster than commercial tubes
    -in usage of the link below the TB is better adjustable than tubes (no handslap with too strong bands for your ammo, no forkhits or too less speed with too soft bans for your ammo)
    -durability of TBG isn't so much less than at tubes
    -Less Bands for same drawweight than with TBB
    -The bit lower speed than at TBB is compensated by the 4 times longer durability of TBG
    -It's easyto apply by beginnners

I think i convinced you ;)

Greetings, Haecksler!

7. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member