Bands broken...

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Tomza, May 17, 2013.

1. Tomza

Tomza New Member

Hello :) its nice day today sun shining and outside is so warm but i cannot shoot my slingshots thats the only problem im running out of thera band gold and thera band green tubular rubber is not as good as i though so i was wondering why is my thera band gold bands break down all the time from pouch side? is it because i used joergs TBG calculator and i put tapering to max so is that the reason why my bands break from pouch side because they are so thin from pouch side?

Sorry for bad english!

2. GroundWalker

GroundWalker New Member

You just can't pursuit performance and endurance of the band at the same time. Highly tapered bands give you excellent velocity(especially distinct for lighter ammo), but your band will not last long. On the good side, breaking on the pouch side is quite safe most of the time, and it's one of the reason to taper the band.

3. Tomza

Tomza New Member

But why they get broke after 10-20 shots? they could last 100 shots atleast

4. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

maybe your cuts aren't clean, could you show a pic of the bandset?

also, you might be stretching them too much, what is your draw and what are your band dimensions?

5. Tomza

Tomza New Member

i draw them to 155cm. bands are 30.7cm long and 1cm from pouch side. 2.5cm from other side.

6. onnod

you're stretching them to their limits, no problem, but they won't last long this way, especially when your bands aren't cut perfectly.
    my advice would be to use less taper and cut them longer like this:

Cut the bands 37.07 cm long.
    Band width at the fork is 2.01 cm.
    Band width at the pouch is 1.46 cm.
    You need 2 bands per side.

for this setup i set the taper to 3 and stretch to 6, but this is just to show what you could do, i have no experience with this setup, neither do i use the calculator anymore.

7. Tomza

Tomza New Member

right. thanks for the help! :)

8. Tomza

Tomza New Member

How i can cut that long bands? i have roller cutter ruler only wich is 35cm long...

9. onnod

i think you have like a mounted one, in that case you can't, 35 cm will be your max. length

10. The Slinger

The Slinger Member

you could try to use a long pice of wood, staigten it out and use it instead of your ruler. my father got a 50cm long ruler made of plastic but people don't produce them anymore.

WARNING!! my grammar may be a little off.

11. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  12. Tomza

Tomza New Member

It doesnt matter how i cut my bands they allways last like 1-10 shots... so all 2 meters of my thera band is now wasted. :(

13. knifefightermike

knifefightermike New Member

Try an art store. Here in the US you can find a "yard stick" which is 36 inches (90 cm), so maybe you can find a meter stick 100 cm??? My yard stick is metal but the wooden ones are easy to find.