Band Width

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Fionda, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Fionda

Fionda New Member

I’m wondering what effect band width has on slingshot performance when altering a set of untapered bands.

I have a slingshot with 4 bands of Thera-Band gold cut to 25mm untapered. I don’t want to change the band length, but would like to make the bands only 20mm wide.

Firstly, I guess this would make the draw weight lighter if using the same anchor point. However, does having less rubber now mean that the bands contract faster, or am I losing velocity as there is less material propelling the ammo?

Also, how would this change affect band life? Same strain on less rubber with same ammo weight would reduce band life, or would make little difference?

Trying to think this through, but is confusing as every alternative seems possible…

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

You never said your ammo type/size. If its light ammo like 10mm steel. A single strip at 20mm is sufficient, anything more and its a waste of money/tbg. using too much band material will make you tire faster as well as prematurely wear the bands. Hope it helps, hard to give advice without ammo weight.

3. Fionda

Fionda New Member

Thanks for your reply.

With this particular slingshot I shoot 25mm marbles (18 grams)

At the moment (with 25mm band width) the draw weight is just about right, maybe a touch heavy. I occasionally get hand slap, meaning the bands are perhaps a little too strong for the ammo.

If I reduce the band width to 20mm I can get many extra bands out of my roll of Thera-Band and maybe get the draw weight perfect, but I really don’t want to loose to much speed or power or have a shorter band life.

I just don’t understand the physics of how altering the band width would affect any of this.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

OK, now we have traction. Try staying with 2 layers but go to 2cm. At this point its just experementing with width and length to perfect the setup, if length feels good to you then adjust width till its right.

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

double 2cm bands are too much for marbles I think. If you cut single bands 20mmX17 it will be pretty zippy and you will still have a god band life.
    My 2cents.

6. Fionda

Fionda New Member

I only have 1 band per side on my other slingshot which I use to shoot 16mm marbles when I want something lighter to shoot.

However, for 25mm marbles the Thera-Band calculator recommends 3 bands per side, which I thought was too heavy for me so I knocked it down to just 2 bands per side. These 25mm bands lasted for 1,000 shots before the 2 left side bands each developed a small tear.

I will reduce the band width and see what difference it makes. Thanks for all the suggestions.