Band cutting opinions please

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Otees, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Otees

Otees Another Member

Hi everyone, I found a good pizza cutter that i found for a great price. I was thinking I could use it to cut theraband. Has anyone tried this? I have a shortage of theraband so i need to be conservative. The rotary cutters i found were quite expensive so a cheaper option would be better. Thats why i chose a pizza cutter. Thanks everyone.

Alex

2. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Try it on some cheaper resistance bands before thera band. It may need some sharpening.

3. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

You may have wasted money buying the Pizza cutter...

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

It is one of the first things that most beginners think. You will have to work to put a good enough edge on it and to maintain it. In the long run, saving up for a cutter and some replacement blades will result in more cost efficiency with dollars over work. There are some vids on sharpening rotary blades and keeping something sharp is easier than making something sharp.
    Good Luck.

5. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I think tokSick has some great instructions on here about how to cut bands with scissors. People have said good things about that technique. Worth checking out

6. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Hey ! the Olfa cutter is pretty cheap ! defective cuts will be more expensive than the 4USD it costs !
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. slawek

slawek New Member

It wont work. I was think same "get sharp pizza knife" i bought it was cheap and was sharp but its not sharp enought to cut rubber :(

I can never find roller blade here so i bought blade replacement and use screw to attach it to some stick and its working really good and was cheap :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  8. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I got my R-cutter, but I thought about doing the same while I could not find one!

9. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks everyone I'm lucky i didnt buy it i just saw it at a shop

10. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Will is correct. Scroll down through the tips, tricks, experiences thread which LW began awhile back. You'll find the link to tokSick's frugal scissors method.

Here's the link to LW's thread for tokSick's link:
    https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f4/tips-tricks-experiences-29813/

But if you can get sacrifice for a rotary cutter, it might be more cost-effective in the long term, as Arturo suggests. I think you're right tho. A rotary cutter isn't cheap. They are about $40 at our local craft store. Maybe you can search and find one online for much less than this. There are probably some good deals out there somewhere.

11. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Well, that was very helpful. Thank you, Mr Sunshine.

12. dutch_slingshot

dutch_slingshot Just a Dutch guy

where i live, a roll cutter same as jorg only costs 10 euros, and pizza cutters dont work i tried it.

13. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Those rotary blades can be touched up pretty decent when they get dull. I've only tried it a little with a cheap harbor freight diamond stone, held in the cutter still.
    I got my dull blade to cut a neat line again.

Eventually I'll have it ground all convex and I'll have to find a way to grind it flat again or spring for a new blade.

Slawek's idea of making your own handle is great if you find yourself with time and no money. You could use layers of multiplex scraps and make a really sweet ergonomic custom one with a guard.

If you do build one, show us the pics and make us all envious.:)

14. Otees

Otees Another Member

Thanks for all the replies. They all had something useful.

15. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

My personal thought would be to just get a very sharp knife, like a model x-acto, and just cut the band with one slow and smooth motion. And I do pizza delivery on the side so I know a pizza cutter barely cuts pizzas, I don't think it will do well on a band.

16. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

An X-acto cutter with a ruler will probably work very well.

17. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

I have had a bad experience and wasted quite a bit of TBG trying to cut with an Xacto knife. It seems to bunch up and follow the path of the blade causing it to tear rather than cut cleanly. It short, each time was a disaster. I bought a roll cutter.

18. Brazilviking

When you try to use a blade that doesn't roll, the rubber will wrinkle. I tried even with a razorblade. Even with the help of a ruller, it wrinkles... Terrible idea to use a knife.

19. Brazilviking

I've tried with a surgical scalpel........waste of time.
    My conclusion...if you can't get the rotatory cutter..... use tubes!!