Ballistics Do Lighter travel Straighter then heavier

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by allan.leigh04, Mar 12, 2013.

1. allan.leigh04

allan.leigh04 New Member

<font face="Courier New"><font color="darkblue">On my 10 meter home range In find marbles aimed at the bottom of about a 4 inch circle tend to land like 1.5 inches high.<br>Lighter lead ammo I cannot even see but think they travel a straighter path.<br><br>Can anyone help me please. ?......<br><br>I figure the marbles would be dead center at like 15 meters or so, maybe 12 meters.<br><br>I am using a Bill Hays predator with good stretch.<br><br>Cheers Allan<br></font></font>

2. DaveSteve

DaveSteve New Member

I suppose you use your fork tip as reference point. Why do you thing that it has to be dead on at 10 m. It might be dead on at about 15 m. How about to aim lower. <br><br>You just need to find the distance where your fork tip is dead on with a certain ammo.<br><br>Bill Hays explains how he shoots in the attached video. He talks about that with his technique the windage is right and you have to adjust the elevation.<br><br><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q6LCexg00" class="postlink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q6LCexg00</a>

3. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I think heavier ammo flies further because it has more drag or something.

4. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Laws of physics.<br><br>In a vacuum, all things drop with the same speed/acceleration (9,81m/s*s)<br><br>For the small round objects and short distances we are looking at, we can ignore air resistance here as it makes a tiny difference only.<br><br>You can verify this by taking two different balls (eg one marble, one lead) into your hand and let them drop to the ground. They will touch down pretty much at the same time. <br><br>It does not matter how fast you are shooting the balls, the time they need to drop to the ground is always the same. So a fast ball has a "flatter" trajectory. But it touches the ground level at the same time as the balls you are dropping from your hands (from the height of the slingshot of course). <br><br>This means that the flight time from the shooter to the target defines the drop. The faster the object crosses the distance, the less drop you will see. <br><br>Shot from the same slingshot (with the same bands), a heavier object flies slower and will drop more. <br><br>The "drag" effect occurs for objects like golf balls. Those have dimples that can create a suction and stretch the flight. But on heavy marbles, lead or steel balls, no such dragging effects. <br>

5. CEZ

CEZ New Member

My bad.. Thanks for explaining to me, I was hoping someone would do that.

6. allan.leigh04

allan.leigh04 New Member

<font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Hi All, </font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Sort of answered my own question on my lands 10 meter range today.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Accuracy was not the issue; it was weight, size, distance to target, and <br>distance from the cardboard held over the forks to make a noise which <br>could register. Dam my right index finger took my heaviest lead shot on a<br> misfire, and will be bruised for days.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">I used like about 6mm lead balls, marbles, and lead shot made by a woman I<br> think in Europe shaped almost like a large bullet with grooves around <br>the circumference. </font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">The stats. are weight of small lead 1.0 gram; weight of marbles 1.15 gram; weight of heavy lead 1.857 gram.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">The results starting with the smallest, and I am sure there are some errors with misfires etc..</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Small lead balls 479 fps, 410 fps 342 fps, and an error saying 784 fps. For <br>each the Ft/Lbs were in order 7.9;5.8; 4.0;and 21.1 for the error I <br>think.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Pretty impressive none the less for such small lead balls, which flew pretty much straight.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">For the marbles 371 fps; 643 fps on a stronger pull; and 295 fps.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">The Ft/Lbs were respectively 4.7; 14.2; and 3.0.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">The heavy lead shots 585 fps; 408 fps; and 418 fps.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">The energy was respectively 11.7; 5.7;and 6.0.</font></font> <br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">The heavier shots did arc a bit more, but nothing a trained eye, minus cardboard on the forks, cannot handle.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">I trust these figures help some choose heavier shot, do do more damage.</font></font> <br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Usually at like 10 meters regardless of the ammo I can put 3 to 5 shots into like a max 3 inch circle.</font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Dead eye Dick, I am not so rather than specific, and very skillful hard neck/head shots. </font></font><br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">I choose to be close enough, and impart enough energy to kill quickly.</font></font> <br><br><font color="#0000cd"><font face="'courier new'">Cheers Allan</font></font>

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

you have some interesting number there, very fast overall,very very fast. and that makes me wonder, what did you ise to measure this?

8. allan.leigh04

allan.leigh04 New Member

The phone, and tablet PC application, available via the Google Shop, both together at the same time, and both giving identical results.<br>So I think they are accurate enough for our layman's purposes.

9. onnod

okay, did you get all your variables right? sorry for doubting you so much, but you speeds are just so speedy

10. allan.leigh04

allan.leigh04 New Member

<font color="blue">Yes the stool the phone and Tab were sitting on was 2 meters from where I shot; and .3 of a meter from the line of the shot. Weights were all correctly weighed, and sizes measured.</font>

11. allan.leigh04

allan.leigh04 New Member

Oh and although I am only using a Bill Hays polymer black Hathcock i believe, my 30 plus inch draw to my face is quite strong.<br><br>Funny that doing what I have done most of my life, being a fighter and all.<br><br>Just joking around

12. onnod

wel, with over 600 fps you then have one if the fastest shots i have ever heard of