The Slingshot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

yesterday I attached the strong black Thera tubing to my Torque slingshot. It was quite hard to insert the 10 mm steel balls into the tube ends. But at last, the attachment seems solid. Additionally, I secured the steel balls in the tubes by closing the ends with strings. Not sure if this is necessary, but it makes me feel better.
Yesterday evening I made a few test shots indoors with 14 mm steel balls on a short distance. The shots seem very powerful. Outdoor destruction tests are pending.
Sadly I haven’t a Chrony to measure the bullet speed.
Have someone shooting experience with black Thera tubes? How do you evaluate its performance?

· Registered
92 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Thanks. I have not compared the results to those of a Speed Gun or Chrony or whatever those are called but they should be reasonably correct as they are based on a logical principle.

This is the app I was using. It doesn't have the best interface but I like it. I am sure there must be others like it or better.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nchsoftware.pocketwavepad

Or one can copy-paste the sound file into your computer where you can use software like AUDACITY (I use Linux) to do more to it then you could with a mobile phone app.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yesterday I did a test series concerning your suggestion. I recorded audio signals with my smart phone during I made some shots in 10 meters distance to the target.

My recorded audio tracks were saved on the phone in the m4a format which isn't readable by Audacity. Hence, I converted that format to wav format by ffmpeg -i track.m4a track.wav

In Audacity the typical "shot" and "hit" signals are looking like displayed below.

Depending on the bandset and the ammo size the signals peak distance is between 0.15 and 0.27 s. Referring to 10 m spatial distance we have bullet velocities between 37.04 and 66.67 m/s.
Despite I shot outside and it was windy, there is no problem with overlapping noise. Shoot and hit signals are pretty good to distinguish. I guess my smart phone software applies a noise filter before.

For my test I compared the Torque with "Black Thera Tube" (15 cm active length) with a home made natural fork slingshot (TBG; double layer; 2.5 cm wide; 20 cm active length) and the SimpleShot Scout (standard single layer black band as it came shipped from gogun.de; 15 cm active length).

My draw length is about 85 cm for each model. Anchor point is the corner of my mouth.

My results are listed below (mean +/- standard deviation are referred to respectively 10 samples):

Torque
  • Ammo: 14 mm steel balls (11.2 g)
  • Mean energy: 12 +/- 0.6 joule
Natural Fork
  • Ammo: 14 mm steel balls (11.2 g)
  • Mean energy: 14 +/- 1.8 joule
Scout
  • Ammo: 12 mm steel balls (7.5 g)
  • Mean energy: 5 +/- 0.3 joule

I guess the performace of the Torque Black Thera tube setup is comparable to the natural fork double TBG setup. Maybe the latter is a little bit stronger. That series has indeed a higher standard deviation caused by two outliers of 18 and 17 joules, but the median value is with 13 joule still a bit higher than the median of 12 joule of the Torque series.

Incidentally, I cannot imagine how it is possible to reach over 100 joule with a slinghot by hand. But it is often reported that this is possible (with full butterly etc.). I guess I have to become stronger.

· Registered
92 Posts
Umm... for some reason I can't see your pictures, mate.

Apart from that it seems you did a thorough analysis and got a good idea of how all these bands compare to each other. Brilliant work.

Despite I shot outside and it was windy, there is no problem with overlapping noise. Shoot and hit signals are pretty good to distinguish.
When I first thought up this method, I expected I might have to add another piece of paper or some thin material in between the target and myself to get the two peaks.... but no... the phone picks up the sound of the snapping bands just fine. It's just hidden in the signal... you zoom in for it. :D

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi avinar,

didn't you see the pictures of my first post, too? These, where I displayed the ball-in-tube attachment of the Torque?

I changed just the permission of my media albums. Hope you can see the pictures now.

· Registered
2 Posts
I've been a slingshot newbie for a while now. I really like the accurateness of flatlands but it's 50F where I live and Theraband Gold just doesn't last more than 100 shots and I remember being able to get good with the tubes on my old Daisy Wrist Rocket. I've been looking into SimpleShot and bought the 1745 tubing which I've heard is the best size tubing for slingshots for both speed and longevity, but it feels super weak and doesn't seem to have the power I was expecting compared to what I remembered getting with my Daisy Tubes. Does anyone have chronographs of SimpleShot's tubing?

P.S. I shoot Anchor and Semi-Butterfly
Thanks David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts