Bad News...

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by RBurke83, May 18, 2013.

1. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

So last night I was coasting around the internet and I came upon the information that in the state of the U.S. in which I reside, slingshots are totally illegal as of a few years ago! I can understand braced SS's or whatever, but all slingshots!!!!!.... I mean come on! In any event, I am happy I am friends with quite a few local police officers so getting into trouble probably isn't going to happen for me personally, but definately check your local laws!:(

2. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

What state is that?

3. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I Google this real quick and looks like New Jersey has been this way since the 1960s.

Also anything that can hurl a projectile and any lock-blade or fixed blade knife.

Not that this is a fact--i can't vouch for the source personally.
    I've been in the west my whole life and this seems alien to my concept of civil rights.

4. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Go a little further west and it becomes reality, sadly. Welcome to the state that restricts firearms based upon their appearance.

5. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Ahhh! Kalifonicatia!

6. CarlosR

CarlosR Junior Member

So far in California, slingshots must be legal because they're sold in Wal-Mart stores. But I don't know how long that will last. When I look up definitions of "slingshot", most of the time it's defined as "a forked stick, to which a pair of elastic bands is fastened to two prongs, typically used for shooting small stones." This definition doesn't apply to many of Joerg's creations and this is why I am so fascinated by them. Perhaps the key to keeping our hobby from being further outlawed is to make it as difficult as possible to define a "slingshot." We should expand upon the path Joerg has laid and come up with even more varied creations that don't follow the typical definition of a slingshot. Perhaps this will make politicians hesitant to put together new laws that are detrimental to us. For example, can you imagine how outraged the public would be if a politician proposed to spend scarce tax money and valuable judicial time outlawing Joerg's Oreo shooter?

7. RBurke83

RBurke83 New Member

It's true I do live in NJ, but I'm almost certain I bought a slingshot at some store in NJ in the mid-90's. I also read that slingshots were banned in NJ due to a clerical error. Apparently the law wanted to ban slungshots, which are basically a heavy weight attached to a cord with a loop handle at the end. Someone changed it to slingshots, who knows if that's true, but the fact remains, they're illegal in NJ.

8. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

It appears obvious when reading the law itself that "slingshot" is an error (should be "slungshot" as you said), as all the other items directly surrounding it are things like billy clubs and blackjacks (striking impact devices that don't fire a projectile). That's a hell of a mistake, but that's what the law reads, so that's how they enforce it. I wouldn't take it for granted that you'll get away with it because you have some LEO friends. NJ law also states that possession of any of these devices is a "crime in the fourth degree," which is punishable by up to 18 months in prison and a $10,000 fine. :mad: I won't go any further with how ridiculous this is, since I'm liable to launch into a libertarian rant the likes of which this forum has never seen :)D), so I'll just leave it at calling it ridiculous. :(

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  9. ghost

ghost New Member

what are you in prison for a forked stick with a rubber band attached to it lol

10. This is what the world has come to because we let limp-wristed slime-balls and petty tyrants restrict the law-abiding citizen's access to weapons.

11. LEDPunisher

LEDPunisher New Member

I totally agree. Example - felons are prohibited from owning firearms in the USA. Even if these people have never abused such a 'right.'

This reeks of a power grab.