Avoid fork hits?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by noah013, Jan 18, 2014.

1. noah013

noah013 Member

Hi,

I've got another question for you guys: does someone has tips to avoid a fork hit? Today I was shooting at my catchbox (pics will follow). I built that cause there is a lot of glass in my backyard. Here in the part of the Netherlands where I live are a lot of glass houses where they grow vegetables, and those are few metres from my catchbox. Also we've got a lot of windows in our backyard where you can look outside so on the other side there is glass too. I'm afraid for breaking a window cause that will be the end of this hobby. So I've build a catchbox to minimize the risk of breaking glass.

So I was shooting today, and suddenly I heard the sound of somethig knocking wood and the marble I was shooting with flew over my house. I looked at my sling and found a dent. I don't know wheter I can use it or not. I went to my street and didn't found and damage (nor the marble).

Can someone please tell me what went wrong (maybe the bands slipping of the forks?). I was shooting with a natural sling. And can anyone please share tips?

Thanks, Noah013

2. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

post the pics, what style you shoot? where is your anchor point or draw length ... more information needed ... usually fork hits are due defective release
    cheers

3. noah013

noah013 Member

I shoot with the thumb-finger support style. My anchor point is against my chin.

4. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Make sure your ammo is the proper size/weight for your setup. Also, make sure that you release well- relax and be sure of your hold before letting go. Most fork hits can be traced to problems with these two issues.

-Wild Bill

5. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

1.Turn the pouch

2. Release both finger smoothly, no quick snap.

6. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

7. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

[​IMG]

My recent fork hit destroy my lovely Fireant, I did turn the pouch but I try the " active shooting " method which made quick release (SNAP )and force the fork forward .

Thus, remember release smoothly and equally .

8. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Noah: Try high, wide forks. I have yet to have a wild shot with my Trumark or a fork hit with my Wham-O Sportsman. I have more trouble with lighter ammo, like marbles, and odd ammo like hex nuts.

Erlkonig: Sorry about the Fireant, that's a great looking fork. I ruined my first boardcut with two fork hits from hexnuts.

9. noah013

noah013 Member

I use the turn and tweak method now. And it is an awesome method!

Thanks,

Noah013

10. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Fork hits? What are they? ;)

I usually flip the frame when I fire. If the frame isnt there any more, there isnt anything to hit! :)

11. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I've also started flipping the frame while I shoot, not because I've had fork hits but mostly because it feels natural.

12. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thats why I do it. It kind of feels like letting a rifle recoil naturally instead of trying to suppress it.

It feels to me that the physics of the shot makes the frame want to flip so it feels unnatural to try and stop it. Until I started reading on here I never thought about flipping and certainly hadn't heard of twist 'n' tweak.

It hasn't changed my technique, I'm still shooting same as always and I've never had a fork hit (even with PFS and stickshot) so I would always recommended flipping. It seems to work for me at least. A heavy bandset makes it naturally flip anyway.

13. noah013

noah013 Member

I do flip it, however it went wronf anyway. (Maybe forgot to flip)

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Again, I recommend using powder balls (or paint balls if you can't find powder balls) first. Only change to marbles or steel balls after you have experienced zero fork hits for at least 200 rounds.

My analysis strongly hints that fork hits AND RTS shots alike are caused by the ball slipping out of the pouch. Therefore I also recommend using a large enough pouch with the rough side turned INSIDE (so it touches the ball). Also a nice center hole helps.

Flipping helps, so does twisting the pouch.

If you do all the above, you should NEVER experience fork hits again. After 200 powder balls, you will feel confident again.

15. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Well, pride comes before a fall...had my first fork hit today!

That will teach me for being cocky I guess won't it. They are pretty scary, one second I release the pouch the next there is a 16mm marble flying over my right shoulder at a great rate of knots.

Lesson learned!

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I've had a number of fork hits, but I've never had one come back at me. Scary stuff Scooby. Glad it didn't hit you. I did have a ricochet come back at me two days ago - my shot went a little wild and I hit a brick which sent it right back at me - it zoomed by my side and hit behind me. Dangerous business we're in here :)

17. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It is indeed! To quote one of Joergs videos though, "We are not wimps here at the Slingshot Channel" ;) I took a deep breath and sent another shot into the middle of the target :)

One positive though it was the first proper session with my Scout and Im impressed with its strength, not a mark on it after the hit! I think I know what I did wrong too, so thats ok.

Glad you escaped your ricochet, no one wants to get hurt. Then again if there was no element of danger it wouldnt be as much fun!

18. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Sure that it wasn't a RTS? Usually fork hits still fly towards the target, in most cases they go high and to the side a bit. Never saw one coming back to the shooter.

19. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

It didn't come directly back at me but at an almost 90 degree angle from the frame, I was shooting across myself at a bit of odd angle just to see if I could if Im honest and thats why it got so close to me. I heard a loud 'dink' just before the ammo came back so assumed it was a fork hit, it may well have been a RTS though. I dont think I could recreate the shot to check.......even if I wanted too!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  20. Erlkonig

Erlkonig New Member

I remembered Tobia's RTS video that causes by flip the fork too early when releasing ammo