Ash + Oak = Awesome slingshot

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Crazylagger, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

Hello everyone,

My first ever slingshot made from Natural Ash fork and Oak laminate on the handle.

Made without using blueprints, only hand tools and hard, hard work.

It was great experience, although I don't think I will ever try to rasp Oak wood again (its too damn tough!)

I hope you all like it :)

My fiancee calls it "the Bunny" :D

With best regards,

Crazylagger.

Attached Files:

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Hello, welcome! Looks like you have done some fine work here, nice job! Looking forward to seeing what else you produce next, this was a great beginning.
    And I agree, it does look somewhat like a bunny!

3. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

Thanks Will!

My next project is to make a moorhammer from that Oak board I have left.

Although I would need some advice on which power tools to get, as I live in a limited with space apartment.

4. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Nice work. Looks like two natural in one.
    Oh, i've forgotten.
    Welcome.

5. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Nice shooter! Bem vindo ao forum! I like that wood color contrast! Good tool, limited space? A dremel tool, definitely! But never use it inside of the apartament or you will swim in dust!

6. Brazilviking

7. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

Ah, thanks very much indeed guys for the advice! This definitely helps!

I will start working on the new slingshot this weekend.

8. artons

artons New Member

Congrats!
    You did an amazing work for your first slingshot, it seems relly comfortable
    I hope it shoots well :)
    I totally agree with BV: be really careful with the moorhammer, it's probably the most comfortable design, but it can be really dangerous if you don't reinforce the wood.
    However, the oak is a very strong wood, with a compact structure, if you glue some pieces until you reach about 4,5-5 cm of thickness it will be rock solid :D
    Oh, i forgot, welcome to the forum!

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

The best power tool you can buy would be a jig saw. This will allow you to make nearly any cut, on nearly any material necessary for building a slingshot. And they are not terribly expensive either.

10. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

Ah, thanks very much indeed guys! I truly appreciate your advice. I will definitely reinforce the oak board whilst making moorhammer, but would making cross pattern be sufficient?

I must say though that Oak wood is extremely tough!

About the tools, would Dremel be a better option for me? (since I can cut and rasp/file with it, and jig saw only cut?) Of course ideal would be my own workstation, but unfortunately I have limitations... :( so I wondering if Dremel is something worth spending money on?

With many, many thanks,

Crazylagger.

11. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

The oak board that I have is around 2-2.5 cm thick so I was thinking to cut two pieces, then glue them together in cross pattern (suggested by Aatroxx in another thread) with epoxy glue. Do you this would work?

Many thanks! :)

12. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

In my opinion, a dremel will not replace a jig saw for cutting. You can indeed cut with a dremel, but the jig saw is much more effective and efficient. However, for sanding and shaping, a dremel is great.
    I have made a moorhammer with oak. I used 18mm dimensional red oak. It has been fine, no problems at all. It would be wise to alternate the grain though. For example, make the grain on the middle board run up and down and the outside boards side to side. Better strength and stability that way

13. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

Mmm, thanks Will!

I will probably buy Dremel for now as my own hand will kill me if I will try to sand that oak board again with a rasp :D

I will try to cut it by using a drill and then just sand the rest (similar to the thread where the forum tried to make moorhammer out of walnut).

Will definitely alternate the grain too!

14. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I would suggest that you try something other than a Moor Hammer if you are just starting out. Joerg classifies them as an expert level shooter. They require heavy ammo and the forks are quite low. But as far as tools, I agree that a jig saw with the thin blades would be the tool to invest in. You can do pretty much everything else with a knife and sand paper. Welcome to Sling World!

Happy Shootin'!

15. Brazilviking

Dremel its not a very acurate cutter. It can't make deep cuts as well.maximum of 1,5 cm or less. And you must buy the wood cutter device, otherwise you might get a burned eye!:eek: I did.....
    Jigsaw is the better small-sized cutter. A scrollsaw makes less dust, but its bigger. My essential power tools are dremel, eletric drill, jigsaw. With these you can do mostly anything.

16. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Welcome to the forum.

A good way to saw will save you the most time IMO.

Next to that, I have a dremel and an angle grinder, and the angle grinder sees more use by far.

Provided that you already have a vise, most detail work I find just as fast with hand tools as with my under powered knock off dremel. Twenty dollar harbor freight angle grinder costs about the same but hogs off material 10X as fast.. just food for thought.

17. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

Mmm, alrighty then, I will definitely purchase both Jig saw and Dremel as soon as I will get extra dinero...

Saving up money for house at the moment, so my fiancee keeps my spending tight -_-

Great advice though! Thanks very much indeed everyone, this surely helped me and I am sure many newbies to SS will find it very useful!

With best regards,

Crazylagger.

18. Brazilviking

never forget that a power drill is essential to help te jigsaw make curves! even with a thin blade, 90 degrees anglkes can be impossiblo. Power drills are cheap and easy to keep.

19. Crazylagger

Crazylagger New Member

That makes perfect sense Brazilviking! Gladly my father-in-law got a new power drill so I got his old one ^^

Til I get a Jig saw, I will use the drill to cut out a piece and then use my trusty rasp the rest :D