ASDA tubes?

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ruthiexxxx, Oct 3, 2013.

1. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Has anyone tried these tubes from Asda in a slingshot ? I don't want to cut them up to try if they're no good from our point of view

Attached Files:

2. zwillie

zwillie New Member

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

My wife found something very similar to that in the second hand store. I don't know for sure how it will work yet, as the crossbow I'm building to put them on is far from finished. But they seem to have great power. The one I have is bigger than the thera band tubes, and feels much harder to pull.

4. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Well the red one, (labelled 'heavy') is 12mm outside diameter with 4mm thick walls. I had to chop the ends off to measure so I might as well make it up and see.

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Well, I think this one officially qualifies as a 'BRUTE' !

The tubes dwarf the TTS of the bunny ears. Maybe not the liveliest rubber I've shot with but not short of power. It chucks 1" lead like they were airsoft pellets !

I'll have to increase the pseudotaper as I'm having to draw back to semi-butterfly and I don't like this as much as just drawing back to my chin.

So I don't think they will be wasted :)

Attached Files:

6. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Hi Ruthie,
    12mm outer diameter and 4mm wall :eek: 100mm² of rubber!!!

You have to pull 50kg for 400% elongation.
    Jamón Ibérico seems to give extrapower.
    Zwillie

7. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Alas no jamon ...I'm vegetarian :). But it's a lot easier with getting the protein for training now I'm not full vegan any more.

I only train at 30 kg for that pull on the machine at the gym...but that's for sets of 9 reps (3 sets) so I don't know what I can do on a single pull. 50 kg sounds reasonable. Bet Joerg could double that !

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

All three of those Matt Roberts Resistance Bands from ASDA proved worth using :D

Attached Files:

9. zwillie

zwillie New Member

10. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Thanks amigo. That looks well worth a try.

I've had really pleasing results by stuffing smaller diameter tubes inside larger ones...e.g. heavy natural latex tube inside green DubDub. This works wonderfully but it occurs to me that if I didn't have the outer tube full length i could tie it off with a latex wrap where the fatter tube ends and then have just the thinner tube doing the last couple of inches to the pouch.

11. zwillie

zwillie New Member