arrow vs steel pellets

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Lottemann, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Lottemann

Lottemann New Member

What do you guys think when comparing arrows with pellets - shot from the same slingshot: which one will be more accurate or easier to hit a target with and which one will do more harm to the target in terms of penetration/energy?

Erwin

2. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

Shoot a pellet into this deer and your answer will be revealed:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsqrlaIef2o[/ame]

3. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

i think that they will be equally accurate, but the arrow will surely penetrate more than the steelball

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Accuracy is in the hands of the shooter! Arrows penetrate, steel/lead balls transfer energy. Harm caused depends on the target.

5. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

Deer die by bleeding out from a penetrating arrow.

I have never heard of a deer dying after being shot in the lung area with a pellet from a 40 lb slingshot.

A bird, a squirrel, etc, OK. But not a deer.

6. Lottemann

Lottemann New Member

it must be the arrow

Thanks guys for pointing into the right direction. Special thanks for the interesting video. Penetration with a relatively small amount of energy (in comparison to a rifle for example) is the key to answer my question.

Erwin

7. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

BoyntonStu, you are the only guy talking about deer. I was replying to the OP

8. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

I agree with VWscooby on all his answers.

That is an interesting video BoyntonStu. I have seen small arrowheads at museums and often wondered if they were for smaller arrows and bows.

If you think about it, the tip of the arrow would only need to initiate the path while the arrow's shaft would carry the weight to drive it through.

Edit: Wow, posts 5,6 and 7 appeared while I was composing post #8.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  9. BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu Member

I thought that I was too.

"which one will do more harm to the target in terms of penetration/energy?"

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The most lethal projectiles that can be shot from a conventional handheld slingshot are flechettes, without a doubt.

A well made flechette can have the same energy as a steel ball, as it does not suffer from the draw length limitation (length of the arrow). This means that with a starship and full butterfly, you can have 2 meters of a draw. Exceeding 100 Joule is easy. My record stands at 136 Joule, that's 99 ft-lb. 206 fps for a 1090 grain projectile! I used a 25 mm steel ball for that - but it could have been an equally heavy flechette, why not.

11. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

But Joerg Flechette is not a small round ball it is like shooting steel nail out of a handheld slingshot If you were to be shooting with low forks then there is a possibility you might hit the fork or worse your hand. Also I have to have nerves of steel if your going to fire flechette out of a slingshot

12. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

It feels a bit odd to shoot flechettes at first. But in reality they are no more dangerous than steel balls. Why should they deviate from their course more than round balls?

With the kind of bands I am shooting, a direct hand hit with a steel ball would break the bones in my hand and the wound would probably be more serious than a flechette hit anyway.

After a few hundred shots without any accidents you loose that fear.

13. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

That's true I have seen some nasty accidents and I have this mind set that this will happen to me possibly.

14. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

I guess 20mm steel will smash through the entire hand, a flechette just pierces it.

15. onnod

Nahh, 20 mm steel probably won't penetrate through your hand, it will leave a nasty dent and broken bones though...

16. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Handing the question to BV...

17. onnod

That's a good one! He has the medical knowledge i don't have :) i'm just making guesses based on experiences and youtube videos(mostly joerg's)