Archery with sling bow

Discussion in 'Conventional slingshots' started by rinion, Feb 9, 2014.

1. rinion

rinion New Member

Is it generally accepted to use a slingbow at an archery range? I want to get some experience with shooting arrows,but I'm fairly sure my already nervous neighbors would not approve.

2. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

You'd be better off asking the range master.
    Some archers are very..... How do i put this..... Fanatical about the sport, how it must be a certain way and no other way is accepted or you likely to be burned as a witch.

Most I've met are pretty open to new things, it doesn't hurt to ask. You may even convert a few!

3. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

You will most likely face prejudice against slingbows from the archery community.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

It can't hurt to ask the range masters, but like others have said, be prepared for a less than stellar reception from others on the range. I actually asked the owner of my gun range recently if I could shoot my slingshots in the indoor range - just for fun. After asking me a few questions about it (he's never been asked this before), he agreed to give it some consideration as long as I shoot only lead ammo since they collect all lead ammo and sell it for re-use.

5. rinion

rinion New Member

I can see that being a problem. Although with the spaceman style of bow that is commonplace should allow for more open minds

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

6. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Just shoot out in your yard, if people complain then stop. It seems kinda silly to me, paying to use a range when you can use your front yard. That's what I do, my neighbors may think I'm crazy but they don't do anything about it. I just pause in my shooting when my neighbors walk by and I wave as they walk past

7. rinion

rinion New Member

I live in a City, Friend. I am more concerned with the cats in the blue hats.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. Lottemann

Lottemann New Member

archery field course

you may want to check those range courses with 3d targets (in your vicinity). they charge a comsission to walk around and they are usually only concerned about their targets being messed up with high powered compound bows or too large points. if you explain your set up and pay your share I d be surprised if they would turn you down.

another thing would be a tournament. but if a slingshoter can pair up with a bow hunter from 5 to 60 meters - may be there will be a specific class for this in the years to come. but 60 meters is a long way...:D

9. Lottemann

Lottemann New Member

2nd thought

I gave it a 2nd thought and the initial question may well be the start of a new niche within the archery scene. But since I have no experience on what is possible with a slingbow in terms of range and accuracy (I am an archer) I can not tell. So this is just a suggestion to others with a solid sling(bow)shot background.

Generally speaking the bow hunting community would show more open minded people. I agree with the former note that slingbows will face prejudice at first. The future of such an idea depends on what an initial expert in the field of slingbows would achieve in terms of score on a tournament. To me basically archery is a means of transporting an arrow by means of physical power into a chosen target. So there goes the slingbow. So you shootists out there: get going on a bow hunting tournament and show of what is possible. I d be most interested into the results. And I am almost sure you will have followers aplenty if your score is reasonable.

Erwin

and if acceptance fails - we can always set up our own tournaments. may be at first at a pay-as-you-go 3D-target range. I like the slingbow idea a lot!:D

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Slingbows are fun.

But I love shooting steel balls more.

It is a lot cheaper. Steel balls NEVER break and can be reused countless times. A nice catchbox is all you need. Arrows are expensive and sooner or later they break. Fletching falls off, shafts bend and/or break, the works.

In most European countries, you can't hunt with arrows anyway. So the penetration advantage of arrows is irrelevant.

Since you can draw out more far, you can shoot a slingshot at great speed with very low draw weight, often less than 10 lb. You can keep this up a whole day. Try that with a slingbow! You need so much more draw weight because of the heavy arrow and the short draw.

11. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

For target practice with my slingbow I use wooden dowels with duct tape fetching. They break no biggie as I only have about 1.00 invested in each arrow. As long as the dowels are oak they don't flex too bad and are reasonably accurate.

12. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB New Member

Most archers are probably gonna wonder why, but, most won't give you too hard a time other than a bit of teasing possibly. The range master likely won't have a problem at all.

What is apt to happen though will be you wanting a bow before it is all over with. As a slingshot lover and avid archer I assure you there is something to be said at having the ability to send an arrow at a target at 280+ feet per second with precision. Yes, it is quite addictive for sure!

So just go, have a blast, all in all you will probably have a great time, and may even make some new friends in the process! If you can give the 3D range a try too!

Sent from my iPhone using Slingshot Forum

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  13. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Find out if your city, region, or county has a public archery range, and give it a try there. Before I was brave enough to shoot my slingshot into my garage from outside it, I went and tried slingshooting at Burnsville's public archery range.

http://www.burnsville.org/Facilities/Facility/Details/Archery-Site-1

It's well hidden behind a car dealership and adjacent to a Burnsville Public Works storage facility. Your area may have something similar. No range master on duty, so other folks can scowl, but they can't do much else if you're just shooting at a designated target and following the posted range rules.

14. Phoghat

Phoghat Hacker of things

I used to live in Queens, NY City, on a 50 X 100 plot, surrounded by little old ladies.
    I also shoot air rifle, and since I had a large enough back yard, that's where I shot. Now, air rifles are technically illegal in the City, and I got some questions, but I never got any complaints, and I was shooting magnum air rifles that made quite a large pop.
    If you are a decent guy, and don't P-off the neighbors, archery has got to be quieter than what I was doing.
    Maybe tell your close by neighbors what you're doing before doing it, and save a few headaches

15. asteidl

asteidl New Member

But is it easier to ask for permission or for forgiveness? ;)

16. Cwren10222

Cwren10222 Member

Unfortunately no archery range around here but plenty of open forest lands. I shoot bows and slingshots as well as air and powder rifles and pistols. I just modified a marksman slingshot into a slingbow in redneck fashion yesterday lol. Key rings and zip ties make great makeshift arrow rests when can't afford a second whisker biscuit lol.

17. Phoghat

Phoghat Hacker of things

Only sometimes, be wise enough to know when

18. Redsnail

Redsnail New Member

our club would let you probably take the piss out ya. then again they'd all be watching with great interest as you got up to shoot.:)

19. tuckaboo

tuckaboo New Member

Being someone that grew up at a range. Shot tourneys for the same range and was sponsored, I wouldn't have thought secondly about you shooting, he'll I'd ask to shoot it.