Apocalypse Khopesh

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Wanimator, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

For years I have been facinated by the Khopesh, a sword by the caaninites that the egyptions adapted, with the abylity to hook, rip, gut, slash and chop. So upon feeding my obession with information I felt the sword to be ideal for the apocalypse! When looking at my ceiling awake at night I theorized on how I could make this as I could in the apocalypse, that means no power, most likely no plasma cutters etc. oh and no forge. So how did I do this? I took some nice medium thickness sheet steel from my dad's friend. (he works at a steel place) They do everything from cutting out swords for people to making theme park ride parts. Anyways, I used wirecutters and an amazing amount of elbow grease to cut this sword out. I may heat treat it but The steel is cold rolled. So it may have issues, though since it's cold rolled it does have some good strength already. Anyways, the curve nearest to my hand was cut in a way where I can saw with it if need be, and the one on top was left messy so if the sword gets too dull or if I want to I can flip the sword and gouge good, it also makes more combat options. (even if so, I chopped up a stump good while dull, it has enough weight where it does damage either way which is a great pro with this family of weapons) I'd carry it in an apocalypse. I'm considering making slingshot pommel, but I like the current one's pommel-less bottom, the handle is gorilla tape and 550 paracord. I hope you like it, and I also added my maker's mark but I don't think you can see it. Oh and that weird bump on top is rolled over steel, for extra strength if I were to parry and hook. It would be nice for clearing brush to killing zombies, I'm surprised I made something like this with nothing but elbow grease.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

for no power tools.......really good.
    If I were you I would get my strength back and saw the rest of the metal out of the upper curve, it would look even nicer.

3. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Okay, to the garage it is!

4. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Done with cleaning the curve out, now I gotta thin out the handle. I undid the wrap, though there is a thunderstorm so I went in. Finished it up.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  5. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

No pictures sorry, I had an unexpected guest.

6. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Looking good, I like the design of it! A cold chisel (designed for metal cutting) would really help you out too. Great for tight areas and such

7. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Here's a new picture with some tweaks to the weapon. I have a couple tools to help. But I wanted this to be made with only 3 tools, 2 shears, (only ended up using 1) and a hammer. I engraved my makers mark in it. But it's glared out. Thanks for the advice! I'm looking into the tool! It tested phenominal, demolishing a stump. And in slow sparring with my cousins it proved really nice for hooking weapons, if it hooked a wrist it would sure as heck tear it up. Very brutal, the curves are definitly worth the weight loss ;). I may carry this in the woods I don't quite know. I prefer the Kopis and Gladius slightly but slightly because you can't usually commercially buy Khopeshes!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  8. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

looking good, the little hooks in the upper curve look like they should be feared

9. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

10. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

Glad to see the narrowed handle and the paracord. If it's anything like my walmart machete*, you'll want a good grip and as much vibration dampening as possible or your hand will be clawlike for a day or two after hard use. Very post-apocalyptic and I like the addition of the sawing area.

*sheet steel with a hollow plastic handle. Vibrations shoot right up to your elbow.

11. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

I don't have vibration problems actually! I really thought I would. But I don't thankfully, thanks for the advice It's dang good! (advice)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  12. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

It's probably the thicker metal you use. Up until recently, I always bought the cheapest tools I could find, and wally-world's machetes are about as cheaply made as cheap gets. Still, a medium "scramasax" for $7.50 was hard to turn down in 1996.

13. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

My metal's pretty thin. 2mm or so? Thick compared to wally world standards I guess :)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013