Anyone have steel?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xXdoomXx, Jan 21, 2014.

1. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Hi guys and gals,(or gal)

I would like to ask if some of you have any sort of steel. The reason for this is because on my birthday last day of this month, I will be buying a belt and disk whopper combo sander :p. I would like to start knife making and maybe if someone could tell me or maybe have small scraps but still usable for knifes they could somehow send It to me. My friend also has a forge but his nab our owns it which we could use as well with guidance of parents to start blacksmithing. Maybe you will even get a little gift for donating. But first of all you could link sight for good knife steel or places to find free steel.

Thankyou

J

2. xXdoomXx

And if I may add already narrow bits because I don't have anything to cut it

J

3. zwillie

zwillie New Member

Moin,
    wenns nix kosten soll:
    Rasenmähermesser, Blattfedern vom Schrotti, alte Feilen und Raspeln, Blätter von Stoßscharren, alte Sägeblätter, alte Messer von Hobelmaschinen.
    Frag mal rum, am besten beim Schrotti deines Vertrauens.
    Zwillie

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Zwillie has some good suggestions. I was going to recommend a file since so many folks here have made nice knives from them - and likely little to no cutting required. If I ever decide to make a knife myself, that's what I'll use. I know around here you can buy a file for only a few dollars, not a bad investment.

I've been pretty impressed with the blades people are making from files as posted on this forum.

Here's a recent one if you haven't read it already:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f29/one-me-32515/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Don't forget your local auto salvage!

Recently saw a video of a guy "unwinding" a coil spring from a car suspension, then taking 8" of same steel and making a tool.

As for cutting, time to get a job and invest in tools. 4" angle grinder with thin cutting blades can be used a multitude of ways and they are pretty inexpensive.

Best of luck to you guys!

6. xXdoomXx

Thankyou all of you guys Finn also has old car bits but there's nothing steel

J

7. studer1972

studer1972 scooter trash

I second Ghosth's suggestion. The knifemaker and swordsmith I knew used spring steel from salvage yards. He may have been an ass, but his crafting was good.

8. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Automotive leaf springs can make for some good knife steel.

It has to be straightened though. Not hard to do if you were already planning to forge your knife.

It can be cut with a 4-1/2' angle grinder pretty easy, and it's got a fairly high carbon content so it can be heat treated with good results.

I'll be making a machete from a leaf spring soon. These are readily available at any junkyard that has car parts, and are pretty cheap.