Anyone have good looking wood?

Discussion in 'Trader's corner' started by jnmbhj, Feb 16, 2014.

1. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

I have seen some very nice looking wood like in this website

http://www.exoticwood.biz/woodchart.htm

But does anyone have any of these wood planks or some wood that looks nice that is willing to trade or sell. I will be interested in buying or trading.

2. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

If you have any buddies that burn wood? Especially if they cut their own wood, sometimes you can get some chunks of some really great looking wood. I've burnt hedge, mulberry, apple, walnut, red and white oak, shagbark and pignut hickory, black elm, and some I was never able to identify. Nice thing is if it's already seasoned, you can cut around any splitting caused by the drying process. I'd always laminate it, because it'd be hard to get a big piece without a split in it. It the burner happens to use green wood (unseasoned), then if you find a really nice piece you could PEG it. PEG is a wood treatment that dimensionally stabilizes green wood so that it then doesn't split. You buy the chemical, soak the wood in this, (you can reuse it) then their are a few PEG specific Finishes you can use on it. You should also do your machining to the wood first and then PEG it. PEG's kind of expensive but a good buddy's probably gonna give you the wood for free.

3. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Why not buy it from the website you posted if you are willing to buy and it has the woods you like on it?

4. zurk021414

zurk021414 New Member

If you have a table saw, you can build a "sled" that you can fasten uneven (firewood splits) to to get that first couple of cuts for squareness. I've seen guys fasten the uneven piece with wood screws to a larger square board and do it that way too. Google "firewood wood work ripping on table saw" for information if interested.

5. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

The wood on the website is to make into pens. They are going to be hollowed out and is 3/4 inch by 3/4inch. Great for making pens. They don't sell planks

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  6. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

How I missed that when I looked at their site I dont know, sorry! That would be why their prices looked so good :eek:

7. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

The wood in the picture is in a square it looks big in the picture but trust me its very small its called a pen blank. They put the wood on a spinning carver and they have a metal spoon thingy and they carve it into the shape of a pen then they polish it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3DC3n2IQLE[/ame]

8. jnmbhj

jnmbhj Slingshots FTW

Thats the same thing I thought it just seemed to good to be true. For such great looking wood.

9. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

To answer the original question:
    I suppose it would depend on who you ask:D

10. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

My advice, find a local custom cabinet maker, bribe him to let you look through his scrap pile.

OR, take some of those pen blanks, and glue them together. Start in the center, push the outside edge ones half way up to make forks.

Or, go to your nearest big box lumberyard, Home Depot, Lowes, etc all have hardwood for shelving that could be used to make board cuts, etc.

Just have to get the bug and start digging, you'll find it.

Of course some of us even cheat and use old leftover pvc pipe and fittings to make our slingshots. Or you can save your hdpe bottles and make them out of that. Threads on how to do that here also.

Go find out what "speaks" to you, be unique! But be SAFE.

11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Erm.....giggity?

12. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I'm not a John Thomas gazer so I couldn't say for sure.

13. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

My wife says that my wood looks fantastic!

-Wild Bill

14. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

Showoff's all of you!
    It doesn't matter what it looks like as long as its functional. and for completely unrelated reasons I'm going to go and quietly weep

15. Cory_Weasenforth

Cory_Weasenforth Fireman

I have some red ceder and a little bit of cherry

Sent from my XT901 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

16. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Will brings it up again...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDVLgWHsyWo"] [/ame]