Any body know how

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by codido187, Jan 27, 2014.

1. codido187

codido187 New Member

ImageUploadedBySlingshot Forum1390881012.079337.jpg

How to speed this process up a little bit all I have is a rasp and a wood saw saws all nothing really fancy any ideas

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Lots of elbow grease. Rasps are a great tool for getting a natural to really speak to you, though they do take more patience. Unless you're willing to invest in a band saw or high-end coping saw, go with the rasps and just invest the time that the fork is asking you to invest.

-Wild Bill

3. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I'm with Bill, a LOT of work or investing in a ban saw. This is why I won't be attempting a slingshot like that until I buy one.

4. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Just cut around the lines with your saws, when it's about 3 cm away from the lines walk away from the saw and use rasps

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

I shall take your advice wild bill I like working with hand tools but want this slingshot to come out already. I will stick to the rasps.

Is that a mini belt sander???

And do you cut out the corners with a coping saw??

6. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

If you have a vice it will make it easier, but you can do the following with a stable place to rest it on.
    [​IMG]
    Terrace cuts aren't much fun by hand but with a saws all and some creative thinking, it beats rasping it all off. Cut the red notch out first.
    Do you have a bench grinder? If so, you can get an 80 grit flap wheel From Harbor freight for about $20. (make sure that it has the little wheel adapters.) It eats a lot of wood fast but make a mess.

7. WildBill

Terrace cuts can take a bit of practice, though. If you've never done them before, it's better to start with a flat piece like a solid block or some ply of some kind.

-Wild Bill

8. codido187

codido187 New Member

I have never done terrace cuts before. And I don't have a bench grinder so maybe I should jus stick to the rasps lol I'm scared to do the terrace cuts and really mess up

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

What about cutting it with maybe a jigsaw??

10. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I use an oscillating spindle sander, kinda spendy at 2 bills though. Just got a rasp today, I feel your pain, not gonna be easy. Maybe modify rasp to somehow Chuck into your sawzall? No clue how I'd go about that though.

11. WildBill

Cutting an uneven surface like that with a jigsaw can be done, but it is no easy task. The saw and blade will want to curve on you, which will make the blades cut unevenly, overheat and snap in half if you're not extremely careful. You can make a 'plane jig' to rectify that problem, but again, if this is not stuff you've done before I wouldn't suggest making this your first project simply for safety's sake. Practice with the power saws on more manageable, pre-milled wood so that the room for error is far greater.

-Wild Bill

12. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

It may work, I already did it. But you might break some blades in the process. Remember to use a goo cutting blade, do no cut on the line, leave some wood for the rasps and do not TWIST the blade!!!!

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. I would definitely consider investing in a bench vise if you don't already have one. I tried rasping my first few slingshots without using mine and it was a pain because you can't get enough leverage to really dig into the fork for getting rid of a lot of material. Once I started using the vise, it made the work much faster because I could put both hands on the rasp and really dig in to the wood, plus it gave me better control of the rasp. This is especially important with hardwoods because they won't shape anywhere near as quickly as a softer wood, so having the ability to put some more effort into it will yield faster results. Vises aren't that expensive if you check a place like Harbor Freight. Just make sure you protect the fork so the vise jaws don't dig in and make big scars in the wood.

14. codido187

codido187 New Member

I have a bench vise and I'm just going to take my time with a rasp after everything you guys have said I don't want to mess this wood up so I will use just my rasp

15. Tremoside

Tremoside SINdustrial designer

I'm working without a vise or even without a table. But using the best rasps I can afford and knives to blocking out the rough shape. Carbon steels, even the cheap but excellent Opinel blades are great for this. However sometimes I use my Spydercos to rough out there's never better knives for this purpose than lapinleuku (Marttiini, Helle, etc) or Opinel.

If you concerned about time of rasping just imagine how strong will be your hand grip after some practice. And that's a good point for shooting consistently :)

16. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

Go grab a coping saw. Only ten bucks and it will be able to make that cut if it is in a vice.

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I forgot to add that a Dremel or similar tool does a nice job with the right grinding/sanding attachments. It will help to lessen the strain on your hands a bit. You can get a Black and Decker model for half the cost of a Dremel.

18. codido187

codido187 New Member

I have a bench vise and I'm just going to take my time with a rasp after everything you guys have said I don't want to mess this wood up so I will use just my rasp

19. codido187

codido187 New Member

lol I do have a very old dremel and a dremel kit maybe I should use that wood is very forgiving so I could mess with the dremel I just don't want to eat the wood up I'm so new to it