Antler Handle File Knife

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Bighaze51, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

My wife is still out of town and I got bored this afternoon so I decided to work on my file knife I started a few years back. I shortened the blade about 1.5 inches and made it a drop point. I then worked the primary bevel down flatter because it was too fat. I epoxied the handle back on and sanded it down to the tang. I just polished everything up on the buffer. I'm not down with it yet, it needs some more fine sanding on the blade but I jus wanted to share this. Ive been wanting to finish this knife for 3 years and now the end is in sight

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Nice!

Always keep working:D

3. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nice work BigHaze! It looks really great. Nice work on that blade. Is that antler from an animal you bagged yourself, of from another source? What kind of antler is it? To an untrained eye like mine I would have no idea if it were deer, elk, heck, even moose for that matter.

5. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

I love it bigh. :)

J

6. Bighaze51

Thanks guys!
    Withak, I didn't kill the deer, it was one my uncle killed a few years back. I told him I wanted to do a stag handle and he gave me an old antler. It's from a whitetail deer. I'm pretty sure I helped eat it though :)

Here it is finished up. I worked the drop point down a little and smoothed out the entire blade. I didn't get all of the scratches out but I'm very happy with. I sanded the blade from 100 grit to 1500. I also added some jimping along the spine for extra grip. I hit it on the buffing wheel a few minutes ago. If you look closely, you can see me smiling in the blade. Now I gotta sharpen her up and make a sheath

7. Bighaze51

Durrrrr! I forgot to post the picture

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

9. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

Beautiful work. :cool: Out of curiosity, did you fully anneal the file prior to grinding and shaping and then re-heat treat it, or just temper it down enough to be soft enough to work with?

10. Bighaze51

I did anneal and heat treat it when I first built it a few years ago. But I didn't go through the whole process this time around. I just took my time with the side grinder and kept it cool while working it do as not to lose my temper :) that was a little pun for yall

11. pelleteer

pelleteer Middle Aged Delinquent

:D:cool:

Thanks, 'haze. :cool: