Anti Smaug Ballista (Rubber Adaption)?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by JoergS, Jan 9, 2014.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I am suffering through a very nasty cold and my wife (who is also my doctor and my nurse) strictly declared my workshop to be off limits until next week at the least.

So all I can do is planning and researching.

One of the things that people have suggested to me is to build a replica of a weapon that was briefly introduced in the "Hobbit" films by Jackson. In fact only a few frames have been shown so far. It is a four armed ballista firing long spears from a tower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It seems entirely plausible that this will indeed work, although some parts are a mystery.

I am quite certain that the draw force must require some kind of winch or pulley system. The arrow is long and looks like solid steel or iron. The draw weight must certainly be upwards of 200 kg, especially as the power stroke is not even half as long as the arrow itself. But there is no hint of a winch or pulley system in the pictures.

Also it seems like there is a sled that is used to cock and also push forward the projectile. That is critical as the sled no doubts is very heavy and will have to be decelerated at the end of the motion. As my rocket shooter proved once again, even if you employ thick wood and rubber blocks, it is only a question of time until things break apart from the relentless impacts.

Therefore I think I will have to make some changes to the original movie prop.

- longer "barrel"
    - shorter "limbs" (rubber adaption)
    - the sled will be used for the cocking only, but won't push the arrow forward (the string only will do that)
    - the arrow will be guided with a top rail for safety
    - a winch will pull back the lock/trigger assembly

Will start to draw some sketches soon. Hope to be better next week so I can start the work.

2. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

First, I hope that you feel better soon! This must indeed be a nasty cold to keep you from the shop :eek:
    I am very excited to see your take on this weapon! I am sure that it will be a device of legendary power!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

3. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I had been thinking about making one of these myself, mine was going to be handheld though. If you want I can send you some of my sketches

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

No good when a cold slows you down but every cloud has a silver lining and it means crazy ideas like this can circulate! Looking forward to seeing this one, it should be epic in the truest sense of the word! :)

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Oh, I do like this idea. Should be fun seeing it come to life. I suspect your version will be more true function than movie fun - I doubt the creators of that model gave thought to half the items you've noted, going more for the 'look' than anything. Can't wait to see it happen. Get well soon.

6. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

the one in the image looks cool.... but impractical. Looking forward to the rubber one you make.

Get well, drink stinging nettle, mint, stevia, ginger. Eat garlic in bone broth.

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Get well soon! I am looking forward to seeing this, it looks awesome

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

8. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I think its a sik design and I'm eager to see what you do with it, but am I the only one who is irritated by Jackson's reinvention
    of everything Tolkien? As I remember, it was a regular bow that the human killed Smaug with.

9. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I don't know, I like them a lot :) Much better than that old cartoon-LOTR, for example.

I guess they switch the regular bow for that huge thing to 'complicate' things a bit. As Smaug's death is kind off sudden in the book, it may look weird if the dwarfes have so much trouble with Smaug while Bard gets the job done so quickly.

10. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

The films left the books pretty much behind by now. Which is good. The book was a thin children's tale, way not enough material for the money Jackson was allowed to spend on the trilogy.

11. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I choose to look at it as doing something unexpected rather than reinventing

12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

A Get well soon!

B start with the big shooter on wheels that threw the 3" balls at cars.

C IMO they did it backwards, they should have done the Hobbit first, as a single movie. It really isn't that big a story, they ended up adding all kinds of material to get 3 movies out of it so they could make more money. Where the Lord of the Ring by rights could/should have been 6-9 movies. The material was there to work with. They wouldn't have to have cut so much out.

Granted they did a fairly good job on LOTR, but turning the Hobbit into 3 movies? All I see is greed.

There are many other authors whose material is just as good, or better.

13. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That is the only part where I disagree with your post.

I still very vividly remember the day when I was done with the first maybe 100 pages of the first book of the LOTR trilogy. That was probably around 1979.

I KNEW right then that this was good stuff, and it was very clear to me that I would read this several more times throughout my life.

Since then I read a veritable mountain of books, of all kinds. I even wrote two books myself. But nothing even came close to Tolkien's storytelling.

To me these stories are just outstanding, and I believe that Jackson's movies are masterpieces.

I am still amazed that they gave him that kind of a budget based on his references... "Braindead", "Meet the feebles"....

Go figure.

14. JohnKrakatoa

JohnKrakatoa Loudest boom on Earth

what about song of ice and fire series? Thats addicting storyrelling, and they are changing it heavily in the show. I ve read many people comparing Martin to Tolkien. But I still have to read Tolkien myself.

15. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I must be getting old,lol. I still love the animated movies. Bard was a special human, had the best eye for shooting in all the land, it was the one time in the books where a human fighter was superior. I guess it wouldn't fly in the reinvented story though. I'm very stubborn when it comes to remakes, I always lean to the oldschool original. I'll be OK as long as Jackson doesn't get his hands on the Taran the Wanderer series, it's got similarities that could make it a huge movie series like the hobbits.

16. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Being that this is, in the movie, a siege weapon, will you be building it on the same scale as your SS car-smashing cannon?

Wild Bill

17. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Joerg, back in the late 60's through the 70's I'd of agreed with you.

However since the turn of the century many authors have come forward who are IMO just as good.

Not quite the same perhaps, although a couple come close. Dennis L. McKiernan's Mithgard series for one.

Tolkien still holds the "Grand Master" spot in my mind, after all he did so very much of it first.
    But so many others have built on what he started.

Like you Joerg I have read, and reread Tolkien again and again. In fact I've read the LOTR series at least once each decade since the 60's and often twice. Each time I find things I've missed before. Interactions that really didn't make sense when I was in my 20's make perfect sense 20 years later.

Tolkien is and probably always will be the master. But there are MANY who have written saga's just as sweeping, just as powerful, and intricate. Story's that would come alive at someone like Jackson's hand.

18. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Jackson is a hack, any director worth his salt could do what his CG team did. It would impress me more if he didn't rely so heavily on graphics and tried to make it with more tangible things. Legend is still top shelf as far as an epic story goes and there was no CG back then, watched it last year and it holds up. Graphics,to me, have ruined the whole movie experience. In fact I'll only go see movies with very little to no graphics. What happened to makeup, appliances, and a bit of imagination? All gone thanks to James Cameron via T2 Judgment Day, that was the slippery slope to mediocrity.

19. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I actually wanted to make a replica arrow and use it for a spear!

20. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Get well soon, also this thing looks like it will be called the Cannon Bow 2000