Another wood I need to know

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by 4foruglenncoco, Nov 23, 2013.

1. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Anyone?

Attached Files:

2. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Depending on how the leaves are grouped, I'm suspecting Chinaberry- also called, 'White Cedar'.

-Wild Bill

3. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

btw- if it is Chinaberry (the trunk(s) in the background definitely are) you'll have better luck with that for a slingy than you would with that Eucalyptus fork. Chinaberry is a somewhat soft wood but if you can get a fork of heartwood then you will probably be okay.

-Wild Bill

4. Tonto

Tonto New Member

If I could see a picture of the entire tree, I could easily tell you if it's Chinaberry. If it is, you'll see the fruit all over the tree and on the ground. It is a member of the mahogany family and the wood resembles teak. As far as landscaping, the tree is often considered a trashy tree and is very messy, but the timber is of high quality and doesn't crack or split like many other woods when drying. It would be well worth the time to harvest some.
    [​IMG]

5. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

I've made ss with it already but there is no fruit, there is never a main truck, but very scattered

6. 4foruglenncoco

4foruglenncoco Member

Also how did u stain your guitar, what with?

7. Tonto

Tonto New Member

It's not my guitar, but chinaberry wood can actually look like this without a stain. This one is heavily lacquered or polyurethaned.