Another sword project

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by BrPio, Sep 21, 2013.

1. BrPio

BrPio .

I had an old chunk of steel I salvage from the old train yard. When tested it was showing to be high grade high carbon steel. So I started forging. I also had a little bit of some special iron that I forged into the tang. For the forging and heat treating process I used traditional methods. So It is edge/clay hardened, It can cut through hacksaw blades without dulling the edge. Blade is, 24in , double tapered. Now I'm working on the Habaki (collar) and the tsuba (hand guard) using black iron. For the saya (scabbard) I'll just use oak. I'm sure I'll get some good use out of this one. And yes, the kitty was attempting to photo bomb.
    sword f 002.jpg

sword f 001.jpg

2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Amazing..... Where is yhe fully finished stuff?

3. BrPio

BrPio .

I just finished the blade and I still need to do more polishing on it. So I still got lots of work to do on the rest, it could take a few weeks.

4. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

That looks awesome

J

5. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Absolutely great! Fantastic work :)

6. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

8. BrPio

BrPio .

Finished all the rest of it. Just used simple oak with a satin Bombay Mahogany finish/stain. I forged the tsuba, habaki, and fittings from black steel. For a quick test for edge holding and stress I cut some galvanized steel pipe, framing nails, and it held a razor edge.
    sword3 001.jpg

sword3 004.jpg

sword3 003.jpg

9. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Nice to see the final product, quite good.

10. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Fantastic! Awesome work :D

11. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

That came out amazing.

In the original post you talked about testing to see what steel you had. Do you just harden a spot and see how much "sparkler effect" you get when grinding, or some more involved method?

Im almost a total noob at the forge, so I learn quite a bit from your posts.
    Thanks, and keep 'em coming.:)

12. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Amazing work!

13. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Beautiful work. The woodwork on the sword and the scabbard are very nice as are the wrappings. Metalworking is something I've never tried. Perhaps some day. For now, I'll stick to admiring the work of others.

14. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

15. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Oh reminds me to post up the almost final product of the apocalypse Khopesh.

16. BrPio

BrPio .

Thanks to all for the feedback. And for the carbon test, this is mostly for simple carbon steels. First I start with the spark test on the grinder, than I'll break a small piece off a hardened forged rod to see the crystal structure of the steel (the finer the crystals the better) I keep pieces of different steels to compare to, and how easy it is to break (easier the break, the more the carbon). If the hardened piece bends without breaking, it's low carbon no good for a knife or sword blade. Over time also I can tell by the feel when forging the steel if it's mostly iron or carbon steel.

17. dolomite

dolomite Banned

What about the "promised" slingy? Post that first, then your piece of tin later;). You still haven't "put up", so it may be time to...

18. Wanimator

Wanimator Banned

Stop the harassment. I am sorry I value making a sword over a piece of wood. To be honest I shoved it into a drawer and said screw it, no matter what I do, people do the same thing. I get sick of it. And it's far from tin, it's carbon steel. please if you don't have anything nice to say shut up.