Another Re-Introduction

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by Withak, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Yes, I did introduce myself when I started here back in August 2013:

https://www.theslingshotforum.com/f3/hello-oregon-usa-30675/

I've been reading the other re-introductions and I'm enjoying getting to know even more about some of the folks here. I figured I could share a little more about myself now that I know the good people here. Some you may already know, some you may not:

* I've been a photographer since I was about 9 and my grandfather first put a 35mm camera in my hands, I was hooked and have loved it ever since. My wife and I were wedding photographers (part time) over the course of about 7 years. We left wedding photography because it wasn't much fun and at one wedding a very drunk A**HOLE went after my wife in a tirade over something he perceived we did wrong. When I was just about to flatten him, I realized it was time to retire from this profession.
    * I love to shoot - guns, slingshots, airguns, airsoft - about the only thing I don't shoot are bows, but I'd love to take that up some day. One of my main reasons for picking up slingshots is that it costs less than shooting guns and I can do it at home without the police showing up. I don't hunt, but I don't have anything against those who do.
    * Like others here, I consider myself a nerd, but not the kind that goes to conventions or does cosplay. I just enjoy sci-fi, computers and techie stuff. In high school that wasn't really cool, but today, people look up to our kind :)
    * I love to play music, but don't do it well. I play both violin and guitar, but neither particularly well. I also like to sing, I just shouldn't do it around others.
    * I like to golf but rarely play since my daughter was born, just not enough time in the day. I can take it up again after she's grown up - my time with her is far more valuable.
    * I love the outdoors, but I'm not an outdoorsman per se. I grew up camping and sometimes backpacking, so I can reasonably manage away from technology, but have to admit that sleeping on the ground has lost it's appeal.
    * I'm a big guy - 6' 1" and [email protected]@lbs, but I do like to get out and move - whether it be a walk or a bike ride, I just like to get out when I can.
    * I'm a commercial electrician though I no longer work with the tools, I do keep my license current at all times, just in case. I did a lot of work in hospitals and commercial buildings as well as work at Intel, Nike, many now-defunct high-tech plants and spent a year building the Rose Garden here in Portland (now the Moda center). I now estimate, project manage, design, program and train on low voltage systems.
    * I like to debate, but I don't like to argue - and yes, there is a difference.
    * I'm an introvert, a big shy guy that hates big parties and introducing myself to people I don't know. I'm kind of a teddy bear (as my wife would say) - I can put on a tough-guy image, but I'm also the kind of guy who can get teary-eyed over a sappy commercial.

There's more about me, but that's probably already more than you need to know!

This forum has been an interesting part of my life since I joined. Some of our best friends have moved all over the country for their jobs and I've lost some of the close connections I once enjoyed here (though one couple may be moving back -we hope). This forum has been a great place to hang out from time to time, not only for slingshots and some great craftspeople, but also for the camaraderie that is found here. Thank you to all the great folks here. I would name names, but I know if I did I'd leave someone out, so I'll leave that part out.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Are you a Cancer by chance? You described me, other than golf and photography(I suck at both).

3. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Good to have you here Withak. Thank to for the friendship you have shown me and many others on the forum.

4. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Nope, Pisces - I figure that's why I don't care much for seafood ;) So you play the violin too :p? And I didn't say I played golf well, I can just hit a ball and usually keep it somewhere on the course I'm playing :D BTW, I misread your post at first - I could have sworn you asked me if I was a 'cracker'. Why yes, yes I am :)

Thank you sir - good to have you here as well! No one rocks a Pink Scout like you. And I'll never be able to un-see that photo...:eek:

5. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

Well, this explains the quality of your pics- you actually know what you're doing. We have an office in Portland, and I might manage to get the company to spot me a trip out there sometime this year. We'll have to slay some cans and take pictures- though I'll leave the latter in your far more capable hands.

-Wild Bill

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

No on violin but yes on guitar.

7. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

I will say that your photography is amazing. I love photography, but I'm such a newb at it. I wish I had you as a teacher!

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

A "k"

My friend with a "K",

you are a rock,
    you are an island!

Good to know you´re around!

Thank you for all you gave to me.

Be

9. Courier

Courier Senior Member

I think it is really interesting to read the re-introductions, that are appearing recently.
    You did a great job on your Withak!

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That might be fun if we can find a good place to gather. We could even try and bring Will into the mix. And, Jeremy mentioned he may need to come here on business some time, so perhaps it could time out for a mini gathering.

That's very kind, thank you. Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Antraxx - I'd love to have him as a teacher :) (photography and slingshots) I do enjoy teaching others when the opportunity comes along - photography or otherwise. Feel free to ask any questions if you like, I'm always happy to answer, assuming I know the answer of course.

With digital photography, I'll pass along something that I suggest to most folks: shoot, shoot, shoot. Unlike using film, which limited me due to cost, with digital, you can shoot all you want and delete what you don't like. So, if you want to improve, that will do a lot for you. Also, when photographing a subject (people or slingshots), move around the subject and take at least a half-dozen shots from different angles - it will teach you to better spot the 'right' composition for your subjects. Be sure to move up, down, around, near and far. You'll be amazed how viewing the same subject from different angles will allow you to really see things in a different, and sometimes, better, way. I find my first composition of a subject is rarely the one I end up choosing.

Noooooo!!! Not Simon and Garfunkel!! Okay, I'm sorry for the Mongo thing! Anything but Simon and Garfunkel!

Thanks as always for BE-friending me.

11. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Sorry for that one- didn´t mean to bother you.
    The original comment was a LOT longer and kind of
    crybaby- style...

I dare to hope you know what I mean;

I like your company.

period

Be

12. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I know very well what you mean, just having some fun :p. I grew up listening to my parent's music - and S&G was one of them. I learned to HATE most 60's and 70's folk-type music as well as disco - way, WAY too much Bee Gee's going on in my house as a kid. Once I was exposed to FM radio, I had access to new music, starting with folks like Journey, then my first rock group, the Scorpions, was a pivotal moment in my developing young mind. I left the 'oldies' behind and moved on to better things :cool:

13. OzzyOsborne

OzzyOsborne New Member

Great update intro...

Agree, even if slingshots isn't your number one fetish this is just at a great forum to hang out - zero negativity, or at least zero tolerance of it!

Enjoy life big man!

14. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

ah photography, one of my favourite past times... that is before my ex borrowed my camera and 'forgot' to return it.
    haven't found a model that suits me yet to replace it with (the camera that is, I'm doomed to be single).

the more people that do these re-introductions, the more things we all find we have in common, this is really a caring, sharing and growing place

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  15. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

You are truly a great member of this forum, Withak. You offer encouragement and friendship to everyone here and really embody what (I feel) this place is really about. It seems like you just joined...and then suddenly you are turning out some really great slingshots!
    Thanks for giving us a chance to learn more about your interests too, it seems we have quite a bit in common.
    I am very glad you joined this crew brother, thank you for everything.

16. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That is a bummer Obl1v1Aus - I hope you find a suitable replacement camera one of these days. Maybe a nice beach fork to go with it :p

I appreciate your kind and generous words Will. Honestly, it's easy to be a nice guy when you're surrounded by great people such as yourself.