Another german

Discussion in 'Welcome & Introductions' started by maggo, May 2, 2013.

1. maggo

maggo New Member

Hi there.

My name is Marko and i live in northern germany near Kiel.

A friend of mine started posting me links of Jörgs Youtube videos and somehow i got caught and I was forced by myself to register to this forum.

Now I am planning on building my first Slingshot.
    Im quite experienced in working with wood (just on a hobby-base, not as a profession) so I don't see any problems on the production side.
    To be honest I do not have any experience shooting yet.

Is there any slingshot you can recommend for an absolute beginner? If possible I would like to remain unwounded ;)
    Right now I have Thera Tube Blue here but I'm thinking of Theraband Strips for my first build. Not sure about that though.

Would be nice to start building soon. 21mm Multiplex is waiting to be turned into dust and slingshot. :D

A very nice forum so far!!!

Greetings
    Marko

2. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Hi Marko, [​IMG]

Lots of guys here can advise you on what slingshot they like and why they like them.

As for avoiding injury... I'll refer you to the latest thread on that. You need to decide which style of shooting you prefer, vertical or gangster. Twist the pouch -- like Jörg explains in this latest thread:

Twist The Pouch

IMO, butterfly shooting is for advanced shooters. It is how I injured myself when I started. I'd leave that alone until you feel proficient in your choices and shooting style.

I can't wait to see what you're building with multiplex. I like multiplex. Don't forget to check out Jörg's RAM-Bone.

3. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

Welcome to the forum Marko!

4. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Welcome to the forum!
    Unfortunately, I am a beginner in woodworking, but curious how your first slingshot will look but i think there are many blueprints, you simply search for what you like :D

5. maggo

maggo New Member

I am thinking about building something like the Dragon style maybe I will modify it a little.

The fork height seems good for a beginner but how does a wider or narrower fork affect shooting?

@Thistle. Butterfly shooting means flatband shooting?

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  6. kenyon-slingshots

kenyon-slingshots New Member

I am a beginner too and my first slingshot was a palm swell with high forks to build up confidence and since you are advanced crafter i think you should make a moor hammer/Hammerhead slingshot for looks they look fantastic u mmight want to google em

7. kenyon-slingshots

Butterfly is when you have large bands on and you extend your arms so they look like a butterfly. If - was your left arm with slingshot and I was your body then the pullback arm (right arm) - would be that -I- looks kinda like a butterfly sorry for bad description. If you hold sling shot with left hand.

8. maggo

maggo New Member

Oh yes. Now I see what you mean.
    And I also remember that I have already read about it but somehow I forgot it. :rolleyes:

I think I would not dare trying butterfly shooting due to my lack of experience. I really need my hands for changing diapers :D

9. maggo

maggo New Member

10. Lars

Lars The Evil Genious

11. Saderath

Saderath Senior Member

12. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

You can see the full 'butterfly' clearly demonstrated in this Jörg Sprave YT video linked below. Tobias is testing his aluminum Moorhammer. He is a very powerful shooter.

Start at 0:47. This is what I meant by advanced shooting. Definitely not for beginner shooting in my opinion. [​IMG]

Tobias Testing Aluminum Moorhammer

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  13. maggo

maggo New Member

I spent some time sawing and rasping MPX and when I had one side nearly finished the MPX cracked between two layers. Yeah...well...

BUT - because I was not so satisfied with my improvised design of the slingshot I decided to go back to my computer and push some splines around and see if I can come up with a design that I like. And....I came up with one ;)

Now I'm asking the experienced shooters here.
    Do you think something like this will be shootable?

Attached Files:

14. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

welcome maggo!

absolutely! if you're more experienced with shooting, you can make some kind of phoenix/hammerhead out of it by cutting off the top.

15. kenyon-slingshots

16. maggo

maggo New Member

I used Adobe Photoshop to draw this blueprint.
    Sure there is software available which has better path-handling but I'm used to Photoshop.

17. maggo

maggo New Member

today the drive belt for my bandsaw arrived, so i might start building my prototype tomorrow.
    :)