The Slingshot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Here I have my latest build, made from the topmost fork of a fallen tree I came across after an autumn storm. The bark was completely gone and the wood was whithered to a dark grey, as can be seen in the first picture. So, as per usual, I have no clue what kind of tree it was.

This is what I made of it. Despite being deadwood, the grain wasn't that great to begin with. So I went ahead, soaked it in tannine solution and subsequently stained it with ammonia. Cracks were filled with cyanoacrylate glue (that turned dark brown duiring oiling, kinda like natural resin) and sanded to 600 grit. After 4 treatments with BLO the fork got a final oilsanding with 600 grit.
Final finish was done with a generous helping of el-cheapo rattlecan clearcoat and furniture wax.

In hindsight, although this one is a little bit chunkier, this looks a lot like most of my builds, yet another version of a natural rambone-ish hammergrip frame. Somehow that's what I end up with when I am doing freeform work. I'm considering taking a break from doing naturals for a while, since I seem to repeat myself.
Thanks for looking!

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one! I know that wood! The one I send to Dan in the christmas trade was the same. And just as you, I have no clue at all what it is! :)
Thank you!
Well, that took some digging to find the pictures in the 51-page monster the GST-thread has become.
I think you are correct, this fork also shows this sort of iridescent effect yours did.

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
Nice one! I know that wood! The one I send to Dan in the christmas trade was the same. And just as you, I have no clue at all what it is! :)
I thought the wood looked familiar... :D

Nice shooter but not a clue what type of wood it is. It does have a nice grain that I have seen firsthand on the one in my collection.

·
Premium Member
4,431 Posts
*DROOL*

-Wild Bill

·
OFF
707 Posts
Totally Awesome, i love the grain.

·
Administrator
10,882 Posts
@Dan: even those center white "spots" are the same! How can we investigate further? I just have the pictures, you got the slinger! :)
I am VERY neugierig! :)
It is not found in the USA, so that should narrow it down.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
It is not found in the USA, so that should narrow it down.
:)

I can't remember where exactly i picked it up, grabbed it from the top of the pile. Three possible locations. But that won'T help, aslong as I am a rookie in wood id!

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Dan: even those center white "spots" are the same! How can we investigate further? I just have the pictures, you got the slinger! :)
I am VERY neugierig! :)
Well, I think I'm able to find the tree where this came from, next weekend, if it has not been removed in the meantime. Maybe some pictures will help the investigations along.

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts
Well, I think I'm able to find the tree where this came from, next weekend, if it has not been removed in the meantime. Maybe some pictures will help the investigations along.
That'd be cool!

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
a very nice ash fork! ;)

take this as my bet: Ash / Esche

ash1.jpeg , ash2.jpeg

.. very hard yet elastic wood, used for
hammer shafts and shovel shafts.

kind regards,

Be

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,102 Posts

·
Accident-Prone
1,513 Posts
Awesome, the cracks look great! They're like interruptions on a wood grain sea

·
Mad Scientist
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
That'd be cool!
So, Yesterday I went back into the woods, and the tree was still there. Here are some pictures:

I also harvested another fork from it while I was there:

Maybe someone can identify from the bark what type of tree this was. Personally, I think Be was right, this might be ash.

As to the cause of death, I learned from the wikipedia article about Fraxinus excelsior that there is something called "ash dieback" that has been spreading in europe for 25 years, so maybe this is another victim to this plague.
Whatever took the life of this tree, I hope I did it justice by preserving a piece of its mortal remains from the rotting fungi :D

·
Premium Member
4,792 Posts
Beautiful slingshot, Belargo. Great grain you managed to pull out there. If I had to guess, I'd say it's some kind of elm. The grain looks similar to the zelcova elm grain we get over here and the bark is kinda similar, too. But others are probably a better judge of tree-flesh than I.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts