Another blast from the past

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jeremy, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Continuing on with picking up "toys" from my youth, I recently purchased a big bore blowguns from Cold Steel. I forgot how fun blowguns were, they are almost as fun as slingshots. :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

I agree there Jeremy! Have you seen that dude named Buck with the long bleach blonde hair and beard? He's got a great hunting video on YouTube where he kills a huge diamondback rattler with a Cold Steel big bore. Him and his buddy use the venom to poison the darts and he goes and whacks a couple rabbits. Apparently you can actually eat the poisoned rabbit meat. It don't affect a human unless it in the blood stream. Anyways, worth a watch. You can also make some great paper cone or duct tape cone nail darts for that thing dirt cheap.

3. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Sounds like fun. I've never owned or shot a blowgun, unless you count a PVC marshmallow gun version ;) I do have an appreciation for pretty much anything that can move a projectile down range, so I think I'd like it if I tried it. As for me, one of my more recent purchases was my first .22cal airgun - a big, heavy Hatsan 125 Sniper. The thing weighs a ton and hits hard, but is quiet - quiet enough to shoot in my yard without my neighbors calling the cops. Fun stuff. Enjoy the blowgun Mr. J - how about some photos? Maybe a few shots at your catchbox?

4. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

Easy to make yourself a "harder-core" pvc one too Withak. Check out Backyardbowyer on Youtube. I have a piece of the oldschool aluminum curtain hanger rod that works great too. Here is my cheap .36 cal. diy post it note paper cone nail dart hardened with superglue, colored with my daughter's nail polish and a bead head wire shaft. The darts in the foam are from Walmart. This thing is like a BB shooter though compared to what Jeremy has!

Attached Files:

5. Jeremy

The rabbit hunting video is part of the reason I decided to buy one, although I doubt I will do any hunting with it.. I will post some pictures and maybe a video. I may also try and make some darts, time permitting.

6. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

I got one of these as well, as a present from Lynn. It really is fun to shoot. I especially love the long wooden shashlik skewer arrows, those are nasty little buggers!

I eventually bought the elongation kit, but that did not do much in terms of increased velocity.

7. kiitos

kiitos Banned

Well, it's a toy. But we had lots of fun last summer.
    Here my selfmade blowguns cal .47/ .54, length about 5 ft.
    Material is simple aluminium pipe from the hardware store.

Attached Files:

8. Jeremy

I am surprised the elongation log did not increase velocity that much. I have not shot the wooden dart that much yet. I bought a pack of the blunt darts.

9. kiitos

kiitos Banned

Think the reason is founded in breath/ lung volume.
    One has to increase -pressure- what means velocity
    related to the "inner volume" of the blowgun!
    Smaller calibers result in more pressure.
    The same effect can be watched :
    by a firegun (powder charge and barrel length.)
    Muzzleloaders know what I mean.
    You ever tried to blow through a water hose...:D

10. Jeremy

Here is a picture of my five foot two-piece take down big bore blowgun from Cold Steel. I have included two bamboo darts, two stunner darts and the back of my business card for size reference.

This thing sure packs a punch and is most certainly NOT a toy. Due to the weather, I have only had a chance to shoot it at relatively close range (and my catch box is not finished yet). I hope to be able to get some more distance when I can open the door to my garage and increase shooting distance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  11. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Thats looks like great fun. Blowguns are illegal in the UK, even homemade ones, so I haven't ever seen a real one. How heavy are the darts? Need a lot of puff to fire or does the setup make it easier? From the videos Ive seen the do look surpisingly accurate though!

12. Jeremy

I'm not sure how heavy the darts are, I don't have a scale small enough to weigh them. To get a decent amount of penetration does require a fair amount of puff. I've had some darts go through one side of an old leather purse my wife has. The cone came completely off. I've also had darts barely stick into said purse. It all depends on the amount of puff behind the dart.

13. I love blowguns! I make on average 3 new ones for people a month o_O I have 4 of my own I keep around for shooting; a pair of 4 footers, a 5 footer and a 6 footer. I have a few youtube videos on how to make them as well as a couple vids of me taking shots at my targets in my house. I hope you enjoy your blowgun, they are SO much fun :)

14. Jeremy

Mine is a blast to shoot. I shoot it and at least one of my slingshots every day. Right now I tend to shoot my bb shooter due to the weather.

I plan on trying my hand at making some darts for it as well.

15. Here is a link to some of my blowgun videos, they are not very good but I hope they might be of help making your own darts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikehunt0420

16. Jeremy

As requested by Withak, here are some pictures of my target practice with my new blowgun. The Game Informer shots, I was aiming at Superman and then tried to hit Harley Quinn and miss the Baterange. I barely hit the baterange. The picture of the Martha Stewart magazine was shot from about 11 feet away. I missed her once, barely. The other two darts that did not hit her, I was aiming for the "Thanksgiving" type on the cover.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  17. Not bad, keep up the shooting! :)

18. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That top photo shows a clear waste of 3 shots. The rest are right on target though :D

19. Jeremy

I plan on using Martha for target fodder for a while. I also shot her with a stun darts (not pictures). The darts are a bigger to remove from the thick magazine though.

20. Empty soda or bean cans work well as targets too, though the heavier cans like beans or veggies need some serious lung power to get good sticking hits. Most of my friends can't stick my double layer can target with my six foot homemade blowpipe :(