And the search begins for a natural fork

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by buckshot500, Jan 24, 2014.

1. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Today I remembered that I had purchased a folding camp saw made by Gerber about a year ago.

I'm going to take a walk in the local park tomorrow while the leaves are still off the trees.

I know there are some hardwoods growing there, from the time I cut a hiking staff a few years ago.

Hopefully I'll find a good fork fairly close to the ground.;)

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Murphy's law states a great fork will be dangerously high;). Good luck with the hunt.

3. rock slinger

rock slinger I rarely shoot rocks!

I have found 8 whight oak forks from fallen branches. One of them was a tree and I probable could of had 50 now but I did not have the time to cut too many. That is your best bet when it comes to forks. Walk the trails mark good forks so u can come back to them but never cut unless you have to.

4. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

Rules for myself are; Don't trespass. Don't make a mess. Try not to cut a living tree. I have a fence full that I got out of others trimmings.

5. buckshot500

I'll try to adopt those rules but they are thinning out the small forested section of the park for disc golf. so there may be some cut stuff laying around. If not I'll try to pick one they have marked for removal.

This saw is only 7" long, so I wont be dropping very big stuff either.

6. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

When they are thinning out sections i would advise you to take a big bag or something similar with you because there probably will be a lot of forks! :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Slingshot Forum mobile app

7. buckshot500

Well today was not the day to go to the park. My family changed my plans with a nice day in a nearby town, having lunch and doing some shopping.

Maybe I'll get to the park tomorrow.

8. buckshot500

Made it to the park this morning and found a few forks that would be about the right size.

Sadly they all broke easily and no more were found. I know of a few other spots to check though and won't give up easily.