An old table saw and my first catchbox

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JonS, May 2, 2016.

1. JonS

JonS Member

Here’s a quite long post. Feel free to read it, or just watch the pictures

So after a big bunch of school work I finally had time enough to build something (for the first time in 3 weeks). I remembered that I have an old 400V table saw that used to belong to my grandfather, standing in my backyard. I’ve only used it once before, and I can say that it is a scary thing. The original aluminum fence was so short that it only reached past half of the saw blade. This meant that you could not push it all the way, because there wasn’t anything to push against.

I solved this by screwing on a 2x2 that extended the fence’s length. The fence was not parallel to the saw blade, which I fixed by placing wood shims between the fence and the 2x2. It now feels a lot safer to use. The old saw is really not useful for woodworking, as it’s more of a carpenter’s tool.

At this point I’ve probably shot like 1000 marbles out in the nature, so I felt like it was time to make my first catch box. I made it using construction plywood cut on the table saw. I went for a simple design and was inspired by the shape of hour glasses. At first it was very flimsy, but after attaching frame supports it is now very sturdy.

A thick carpet as a back stop and it stops all the marbles I shoot at it. When I make my next one I will go for a similar design, but with the ability to fold it.

Attached Files:

2. TheNewSlingshotGuy

TheNewSlingshotGuy AKA- "The Raccoon"

Nice! I like how it's portable too!

3. JonS

JonS Member

Thanks. It is very portable, in fact it can't weigh more than a few kilos. :)

4. PimpW

PimpW New Member

Nice box . You Will save on marbles lol. I am also building à new box in fact its almost done but its totally oposite To yours. Its 4 foot wide x 3 foot high and 2 foot deep standing on 3 foot legs lol

5. vestlenning

vestlenning Sling it!

Nice one. Not a catch "box" though, but a catch "arrangement".

6. JonS

JonS Member

True, but I can't call it catch arrangement, because then nobody will know what I'm talking about ;)