Ammunition Ideas

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by ConstantineL, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ConstantineL

ConstantineL New Member

Hello everyone,
    After looking at a ton of projects I have been inspired to design somethings of my own. Right now I want to work on some projectiles with different applications. The one I want to share with you right now is a different take on grappling hooks. The basic idea is to use a carabiner as an arrow head so that the arrow can attach its self to a metal pole upon impact. I did a quick mockup of what I'm thinking right now using sketchup8.

This is by no means a finished design, but I did grab some dimension of a carabiner and an arrow length online (so the general dimensions should be more or less proportional.) I plan on adding some loops to run a cable through, as well as fine tuning the design. I also don't know if a carabiner is capable of with standing an impact so I might design my own clip for this.

If you have any ideas or input I would be happy to read it! I am rather new to slingshots and the like so there is likely a ton of things that I am not going to consider on my own and I welcome outside ideas.

Ivan

Attached Files:

2. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Hi,

Dunno if this is something you had in mind for this thread, but here's my 'innovation': Opposing, purpendicular splits in lead ball ammo.

[​IMG]

I'm using .58 cal lead, and will soon be receiving some .75 cal. Using a razor knife you split the ball on one side, a little more than halfway through. Then you turn it over, and make another split on the opposite side of the ball - that split being purpendicular to the first. The splits intersect right in the middle of the ball but nowhere else. The effect is that if it would hit with sufficient force, it would spread into a single contiguous ring of lead. The deformation of course helps prevent the projectile from bouncing away, and thereby helps it transfer more of its energy to target.

The splits do something else: They create sharp-ish edges in the lead. This helps the projectile cut/stick into the target. At first I used to swage the lead balls back into shape after making the cuts. But the impact results are better if you don't, and the flight is unaffected by the splits at the short effective range of a slingshot.

3. ConstantineL

ConstantineL New Member

I really didn't have too much in mind other than wanting to get an idea out of my head, so this seems like the perfect place for this stuff if people are interested.

I do have a question about your idea though. I am not sure if it will matter, because I'm not experienced with slingshots yet, but if the ball rolls in the air and doesn't hit in line with both cuts the deformation will be somewhat different than intended. Still it should do something regardless though.

Anyway cool idea please let me know how it works out for you, I'm actually really curious to know!

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

Very interesting design.

5. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

As I see it, the problem with the carabiner idea is that you have to be incredibly precise for it to close on the target.

If you make it so it opens wider, it either gets a lot heavier, or loses structural strength. Tough project, but don't give up, I think it has potential.

Might consider split balls connected by chain for bolo effect. When chain hits the object the split balls will wrap around it, possibly several times.

Will be watching this thread!

6. Haze

Haze New Member

Depending on whether you want to use the carabiner to support weight, you probably need to consider stress fracturing the metal on impact. "they say" that if you drop a carabiner or figure of eight used for climbing it has to be x-rayed. I don't know if that's true or not. But if you just want to be able to clip onto a high tree branch for some reason, then you obviously have no worries. It's a cool idea. Very Batman. And as they also say, just be yourself, unless you can be Batman, in which case be Batman.

7. ConstantineL

ConstantineL New Member

Yeah I was thinking about that too. I am also concerned that arrow bouncing off before the clip can close, a deeper clip would help as well as firing the arrow slower. I have started penciling out some other mechanisms and right now I am liking a modified handcuff design (something like a spring {rubber-band☺} loaded pincer.) I have also considered a disk with a clips around the periphery, to be fired like a clay pigeon.

As for the bolas I like the idea, but I concerned with how consistent the hold will be, but I'm sure that it could be managed to the point where it would work every time. Also from what I have seen of them the spin when thrown and even if the cable was attached to the center the chain it would still get twisted and otherwise mess with the flight path. On more point to consider is that with a wide arc of bolas that it could be very hard to get it to attach to a target if it has a lot of things next to it.

The idea is still really interesting and I think I can solve the cable problem at least. Having the weights and chain be fired from an initial projectile on impact. Something like firing an arrow equipped like a slingshot that fires a set of bolas at point blank when a catch at the tip of the arrow is triggered. Then the cable could be attached to an arrow and all you would have to do hit something.

I am getting pretty hyped about this and I'll make a physical mock up out of mdf board of some ideas this weekend. In the mean time I'm just going to make a giant list of crazy slingshot/bow ammunition ideas.

Thanks for the ideas and I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

8. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

Looking at Joergs idea of a rifled barrel I was thinking about air rifle pellets. I know Joerg is concentrating on a ball projectile but there are some large calibre air rifle rounds that would work brilliantly. (The .50 cal Career Dragon round for example)

As they are not live fire and will all work at lower power (18ftlb in some cases) they really are a viable option if you can build something around them.

Here is a pic of some of the ammo next to a standard .177 and .22 round:
    [​IMG]

9. ConstantineL

ConstantineL New Member

Hey sorry I have not been as productive as I intended. I have an exam coming up and I had to finish some "surprise" homework assignments. I am not finished anything concrete right now but I would like to post a new sketch of what I am thinking right now. I'm thinking of using torsion springs to drive the arms. Still not sure of what locking mechanism I want to use, but I do have some ideas.

Attached Files:

10. joevol

joevol Junior Member

Caribener

1) Your latest sketch has me thinking of a handcuff mechanism which would have an added benefit of locking around the target. 2) I don't see how the compression spring can drive the arms any further than to release them from the cocked position. That said consider springs to close arms. 3) Here is some food for thought...Take your left hand and form a "C" with your index finger and thumb....Now holding your left hand at eye level, relax your left hand while maintaining the "C". take your right index finger and use it as a rod to strike your left hand perhaps an inch up from the thumb. Note how the press's the tendons and forces the fingers towards one another. I think this is where your headed. 4). Now add some dart heads to the finger tips and you have a game killer.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  11. ConstantineL

ConstantineL New Member

Again sorry for being really slow on this, I just started buying somethings and I have a really small amount of money to devote to this. I should have all the springs that I need at this point, and I'm going to keep an eye out for scrap sheets aluminum and other materials. But that will likely be a very slow process.

Thanks of the suggestions Joevol, though I would like to clarify that the compression spring has nothing to do with moving the arms, its for pushing the latches on the arms into the locks. Honestly I'm not too happy using some many springs but I just can't find a solution with elastics that I'm happy with. Also I really want the thing that closes the arms to be as simple as possible, so that there are less things that can go wrong. A handcuff lock seems like a really solid way to go, but I'm really don't know 100% what is best.

Mean while, I did draw up another idea of a fun type of ammunition. Very simple just a hollow steel ball with a hole leading to the cavity. Idea being that as it is shot it will whistle. Not really sure if a shot fired from a sling shot will spin too much, but if it does it should make a nice high pitch noise.

Attached Files:

12. Ravensbull

Ravensbull New Member

You may have already seen these mechanisms, but try searching "spring loaded fish grabber!" It was the first thing that came to mind seeing the picture of your idea.

13. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Making the finger tips sharp and barbed would help with gripping wood and if necessary soft tissue, you may want to reverse the entire design, if you just want it to be a grappling projectile, to be something like an expandable broadhead that you could attach a cable to. That would eliminate the problem of having to have your carabiner hit at the right angle to grab the target