ammo

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by thomasmaca45, Aug 27, 2013.

1. thomasmaca45

thomasmaca45 Member

just a quick question
    what ammo do you use and why and do you go and collect it after you have shot it

2. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

I use 12mm steel. It is a good all rounder and i usually go and see what i can find after a shoot. But most of the time when i shoot i am in my shooting range and that captures the balls so i dont lose any.

3. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

i use steel from 6 to 20 mm depends on the SS i use and the bandset i have put on.
    the small ones for target shooting and the big balls for destruction ;)
    and i use a catchbox most of the times so no searching needed and i got pretty much all of my ammo back.

4. dolomite

dolomite Banned

marbles mostly and 3/8 steel. I use a beach towel folded up and stuffed in a cardboard box, I get most back but some shatter.

5. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

I use various types of steel - 6mm (1/4") up to 12mm (1/2"), marbles (when I can find them). I also use paintballs (.68 caliber - I buy them as seconds on Ebay, pretty affordable that way) - they are fun, but you only get one use out of them. I have also found little glass balls (basically marbles) that are sold at places like craft stores - the kind some folks use to fill the bottom of flower vases or to fill bowls for decoration - I found some that are kind of an onyx black, so they not only work well for ammo, but look pretty cool too - and not too expensive. I have used some ammo that isn't perfectly round, like small stones - the main problem is that they don't fly very straight.

I am working on a catch box to reclaim my ammo, but don't have one together just yet, so for now, I'm only reclaiming a fraction of what I shoot.

6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I shoot mainly M10 hexnuts (for economy) although my favourite is big lead ...16mm rounds and the oval fishing weights at 38 grammes.

As I shoot indoors I recover it all. I fill large cardboaard cartons with sheets of cardboard, old phone books etc and tape the targets to these. Behind are heavy hanging blankets and behind those are sheets of plywood and composition board. Every 3 days or so when I'm running out of ammo and the boxes are shot to pieces I pull them apart, recover trapped ammo and stuff fresh cardboard boxes with the detritus of their predecessors.

Attached Files:

7. dolomite

dolomite Banned

Rosewood...we gotta talk!:) seriously though, that's a cool set up. I shoot in my shop and some bad misses made the roll up door look like it took some buckshot.

8. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

It's so easy to do damage isn't it ?! When I was starting the fliers were frequent and smashed quite a few things. Nowadays it's just the odd occasion when I give a bit much too power to an arrow of too low a 'spine weight' and it goes off on a bizarre flight of destruction.

9. CEZ

CEZ New Member

I use .38 - .51 cal lead balls for black powder revolvers because they are hardened, good quality ammo and last for some time if you shoot trees. Sometimes they bounce back (but just a bit compared to steel) but mostly I just dig them out of the wood.
    Sometimes they deform and I don't shoot those ones anymore but I keep them for when I buy or build a melter and cast some myself.
    The downside is that they are expensive, sucks when you miss the target.

10. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

Ruthie, that hallway/shooting range/armory is awesome!!:D
    Great stuff, right there!!

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Great idea using fishing weights - we have a nice fishing supply store in town, I'll have to stop by and check out their ammo, uh... weights selection. :D

12. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Ruthiexxxx I love yhe shooting range.

I've been shooting 3/8 steel and 1/2" glass marbels... in blasting Though my. Catch box at tbe moment. My nabors cars are.a great back stop.:eek:

13. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Ruthie , that's really amazing! I can't shoot indoors....:(
    I was reading your profile......that ex-dominatrix stuff is for real?

14. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Oh yes....very real ! :)

15. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

FEAR!:eek::eek::eek:

16. FIAAO

FIAAO Failureisalwaysanoption

I shoot regular 14-16 mm marbles. I collect them all (if I manage to hit the catchbox, haha :D )

17. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Seems like a natural transition BV - think about it - now she's punishing a target using leather and rubber! ;)

18. Will

Will Thread Hijacker

19. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

This threads got me laughing good.

That is a sweet hallway Ruthie! I'm a fan of heavy lead, too.

I learned the hard way how fast it can wreck undersize bands, but after that lesson its hard to shoot light stuff. Marbles and .38 steel seemed to ricochet a lot more than .490 lead balls and sabots. my dad cast a bunch out of tire weights before realizing they are unsuitable for his muzzle loader, ( lucky for me.:))

Then I got a bit crazy making 53 gram steel cubes, and now I save that for when I need a good workout/destructive tendency outlet...

20. greenevegiebeast

greenevegiebeast New Member

Ruthie......

STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK MY BONES.

BUT WHIPS AND CHAINS ...EXCITE ME....:D

Rotflmao............ oh I'm in trouble if my wife ever reads this.