amazing rubber !

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Arturo Borquez, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Doctor Brazilviking sent a piece of nice rubber with his slingshot gift recently ... I banded the acacia PFS to test it against my fastest cut for TBG for10 mm steel balls, (today was cold 10°C at least for my standards here) and outperformed the TBG by 10%, the TBG 81 m/s and this rubber 89 m/s (average) WOW ... you can see it in action ...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ExkY5StN3w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ExkY5StN3w[/ame]
    the doctor explained me the purpose of this rubber in surgeries, but I wanted to share this question (if someone like to test it) that is, what brand is it, where it can be bought and if is it too expensive ? ... at first glance it looked like latex, bit it is a compound because it stretches 10% less than TBG, but it last MORE !!!
    I would be grateful doc if you can share more information in that awesome rubber ...
    thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Arturo

2. Thank you Sir Arturo "The happy Shooter" for sharing your shooting Video!

Great as everytime!

10% more speed is super!

Joe

3. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

Looking cool, Arturo! [​IMG]

What you've got there certainly looks like surgical latex.

4. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

Our name for it is "smarch tape". That is generical, because there are lots of types of rubber for those. From what i know, maybe there is some silicon on it.... Could it be possible? I'll try to find out the source (it comes without the mark or label), but anyway, if you need more I'll be glad to send you some of it. I'll try some tapering and dual or three layers to test myself!:D

5. Arturo Borquez

You should test it doctor 100% competitive with TBG ! and last MORE ... It would be nice for me to have some more of this rubber ...
    I will PM you ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

6. Arturo Borquez

LOL my wife says the same after shaving myself and the hat replacement !!!
    during recording I was "visited" by a little girl who was walking on the street and she decided to watch the shooting more close ... she asked me what I was shooting ...
    Cheers
    Arturo

7. Brazilviking

And you answered "bolito de........acero"?
    Steel in spanish is acero, right?:D

8. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

I noticed! Potential slingshot student? I think I'm jealous, laughing...
    [​IMG]

9. Arturo Borquez

Right bolita de acero = steel ball

10. pipesmoker

pipesmoker Member

i have the same rubber,it is great
    easy to pull & fast....

11. Brazilviking

who gave you?:D:D:D:D
    Kidding!

12. pipesmoker

pipesmoker Member

some brazilian viking .....:D
    seriously ,it is dang good rubber man
    thank you

13. Brazilviking

Just found out the sale company.. called sterifarma. I've got the number and will try dome contact!

14. slawek

slawek New Member

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  15. Brazilviking

You are right. I've got the number here at the hospital.
    I saw the gama radiation label.....
    It made me think..... There is one type of polyethilen component of the hip prothesis..... Just some kind of hard plastics. When it it sterylized through gama radiation, happens a phenomen of "cross link" on its molecular structure, that makes it more resistant then others, although less hard. This x-link poly uses to last longer due to some elasticity......
    Maybe that happens to the rubber on the reaction? Rubber cross-link reaction?:confused:

16. Brazilviking

Gama radiation created Hulk...... Hulk in strong and resistant.......
    So......... Rubber and human are made from the same stuff?:confused::confused:

17. Brazilviking

Now for serious! I've found something interesting about radiation in rubber! It seems to affect rubber increasing resistance indeed!!!
    Joerg might like it, since he was making rubber. I've got a 20 year-old artycle from a Brazilian university. Link here,,,,http://pelicano.ipen.br/PosG30/TextoCompleto/Valdir%20Canavel_M.pdf
    Abstract in english....the rest in portuguese...:(
    I'll keep resaerching!

18. Arturo Borquez

Yeah, seen the link it is advertised as "Lamina de látex natural, isento de aditivos, proporcionando excelente elasticidade." so my suspicion was near real, it is supposed that hard gamma radiation should "cut" some of the long molecular chains shortening elongation, which make sense to me (verified), but what intrigues me more is that it keeps very fast and endures more !
    Cheers
    Arturo

19. Brazilviking

cross links in poly makes it harder and leaves less debris on a prothesis (debris are plastic and metal particules). If you breaks the cross links with radiation, for example, it leads for a softer elastic ploastic that is consumed quicker....... but in rubber it is exactly what we want!!!Elasticity leads to duration. All the articles I've read poit to that!
    I'll try contact with sterilization companys (hard job...)and I'll try something crazy....:eek::eek::eek:
    IRRADIATE THERABAND GOLD! (OK....IT WILL TAKE A VERY LONG TIME TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE, MAYBE NEVER):(:(
    But seems nice to try!
    Mr.Arturo, how did you checked the speed? Chrony?

20. Arturo Borquez

And another thing I noticed is that this rubber has a very sharp step transition into non-elastic region (stop the pulling within 2-3 cm) which lend to very reproducible shooting, so it also has good accuracy properties ...
    Cheers
    Arturo