Aluminum-honeycomb frame, micarta exterior?

Discussion in 'New project ideas' started by coyote-1, Dec 23, 2013.

1. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

Thinking about making a new slingshot. Wasn't considering building just a 'regular' slingshot, but hanging around here is infectious lol

Anyway, the concept is an aluminum skeleton - simple bent aluminum bar stock (perhaps 3/4" wide by 1/8" thick). Within that skeleton would be a plastic honeycomb to enhance rigidity. Then wrap the skeleton in some layers of homemade micarta as an exterior, enough to allow for working into a good shape for grip and for band attachment. I'd also add an internal ammo store-feed thing, and the handle would be shaped such that a folding wrist brace could be added.

It would be solid yet fairly lightweight.

2. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

Sounds good to me, do it!

3. Joealexander

Joealexander Bunnybasher Joe

Sounds as though it would be an excellent slingshot , keeping the inherent strength and yet also light , all the best with the project.

4. coyote-1

coyote-1 Member

I bent up a frame from bar stock.

Now the more I think on it, the more I'm liking a different idea: A fully hollow slingshot that stores ammo in the prongs and handle! Short segments of thinwall metal tube, slightly larger than the largest anticipated ammo (.68 lead ball), epoxied inside the curved parts of that frame would both rigidize the thing AND provide lots of ammo storage. Could probably get 15 or more large lead balls in there.

So I think that's what I'm going to try.