Aluminum Fossil ... ?

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by Danny0663, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Danny0663

Danny0663 New Member

Aluminum Flint Stone ... ?

Something i've been working on over the weekend, the patterns were inspired by flint stone weapons and rock patterns in general.

The patterns were created using a belt grinder contact wheel (3/4") that is running horizontally with 60grit 2"X42" VSM Ceramic belts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Remember, safety first!
    Any questions, feel free to ask.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. Brazilviking

Brazilviking Thread Hijacker

I really liked it. I'm starting to work with aluminum too. How did you cut those? what are the thickness?

3. kineticweaponry

kineticweaponry Senior Member

4. Thistle

Thistle RESIGNED

[​IMG] Excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor and attempt to regain my equilibrium.

Whoa! What a creative imagination you have. Modern technology meets stone age Fred Flintstone. Those are impressive. Oh my God! No wait, it's incredible. On second thought, mind-blowing. So very original. I guess what I'm trying to say is I really, REALLY like what you've done. Really unique. They actually do look like knapped flint weapons. Magnificently done!

I see you have extras? Be still my beating heart. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing your extraordinary work.
    You really made my day seeing those. I LOVE metal-craft!
    [​IMG]

5. Maulwurfsurfer

Maulwurfsurfer Junior Member

oh man... why u all make so beautyful slingshots???
    I feel so bad XD

Like your work alot!
    Keep it up

6. zurdoman95

zurdoman95 Member

awsome work men. this slingshots are very cool

7. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

Very cool, looks a bit like gamekeepers fancy patterns, but better!

8. Schultz

Schultz New Member

Looks really Nice :D Great Work!

9. Great Slingshots great Work great Idea!

Respect

Joe

10. flicks

flicks ...lost in the woods....

Wow - stunning work and a unique design. Thanks for sharing!

BTW: Welcome to this forum Danny

11. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

These are very impressive, nice work

12. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

Very beautiful and original ... the stone age effect is very well achieved, reminds me the neolithic tools, congrats
    Cheers
    Arturo

13. jeefberky

jeefberky Sapling

Beautiful concept and execution!

14. tokSick

tokSick Senior Member

Great work as always Danny!!!
    When i saw the first finished one i was like "Wow"!! Then when is saw the picture with 3 of them it was "Damn!! Something just hit me in the face"!!!
    BTW, welcome to the forum Danny. Hahaha!!

15. Achso_42

Achso_42 Senior Member

Very good work!

16. LW

LW New Member

Hi Danny,
    You are always someone who can surprise me with its incredible design and the art of execution.:eek:
    Without question, one in the top 10 of the best slingshot builder. Even if this is not important for you.
    The look reminds me on a knife handle...

handle.jpg

How is the feeling when shooting/ holding?
    Why do you always make three at once? I've had enough already from working on one slingshot model.:D

Or maybe you have two very good friends…? Indeed does not matter.

Once Again, Excellent work!

17. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

I love the look of these, and the way they are from the same pattern but still each unique.

I've never used a ceramic belt on a sander before. The finish it leaves is beautiful. I suspect your workpiece stays cooler too. Can you work aluminum barehanded and dry with this type? Belts I've used get it hot very quickly.

18. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Wow... those are some great slingshots. Nicest new look I have seen in a looong time.

19. slingpit

slingpit Slingshot addicted

Realy nice shape and surface. But only one question, the point´s between the
    deepenings are very sharp. Isn´t it a little bit
    uncomfortably in the hand?

20. Danny0663

Danny0663 New Member

Thanks, the blanks are DKC frames that were waterjet cut, 6061 T6 10mm aluminum.

Hah! thanks Thistle, i'm glad you like them :)

Thanks Flicks, means a lot coming from you.

Something about rock patterns really caught my attention.

Lol! thanks Tok.

Hey LW, 10 slingshot makers? haha no way! i just like to make things a little different from others.
    The reasons why i made three frames was simply due to the fact that i was *bored* ... it can be quite useful sometimes. :)
    The frames may appear rough and uncomfortable, but i made sure all the surfaces and edged were rounded and de-burred using a fine scotchbrite wheel. It actually feels really good in the hand. But i guess that is just personal preference.

Btw: I really like your frames, keep up the good work!

Ceramic belts makes a huge difference, they may cost double the AO belts but they last a lot longer. If your workpiece is heating up to quickly, maybe you could try spraying your belts in a solution of soap/liquid solution? it helps a little bit with the heating issue especially on aluminum and brass etc. But i always recommend using new/sharp belts ... using old worn belts are a waste of time. Time is money ... :D

Thanks.

I assure you the edges are not sharp, i have made sure the surface and edges have been de-burred and rounded with a fine scotchbrite wheel, especially around the contact points where the bands/tubes would go.