Almost an 'antique'

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by ruthiexxxx, Dec 31, 2013.

1. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

I picked this up the other day from a fleamarket here in rural Spain where they are still known as 'tirachinas' (literally "throws stones")

The old guy I got it from obviously considered it a bit 'naughty' and said that the goat herds carried them (whilst keeping a wary eye out for the Guardia Civil !)

It is banded with ancient inner tube rubber. From the excessive length of this and the totally impractical length of the forks I think they must have been used as a cross between a modern slingshot and an ancient sling, relying to a large extent on centrifugal force.

Very difficult to estimate age but I would be inclined to put it around 1950s/1960s.

Attached Files:

2. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Wow, really cool! I was wondering about those really long forks - it seems totally impractical for use as a regular slingshot. I'd love to know how this really was used. I wonder if there might be someone out there that is familiar with this style of sling and how it would have been used. Neat find Ruthie.

3. Wren

Wren Junior Member

How things have changed, lol.

4. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Those awesome antique floor tiles again..

Those are really precious! (to my eyes)

Greetings to Andalucia!

Be

5. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

This will probably make you weep but a few years back some friends who were into architectural salvage picked up a LORRY LOAD of tiles like this from Motril town dump...for nothing!

The other ones I just took a photo of for you are from the pantry, library, my workshop and two of the bedrooms

6. ruthiexxxx

ruthiexxxx ruthiexxxx

Attached Files: