All Along The Launchtower

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by JoergS, Dec 30, 2013.

1. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Have finished the rocket launcher this morning, just on time...

One full TBG strip per side, very easy to cock. The launcher itself could handle a lot more, but the rockets do not. Actually some types have to be stabilized with tape, as the heads are pushed through the caps from the acceleration otherwise!

They do fly pretty high, very clean with the nose up just the way I like it. Can't light the fuses today, that will have to wait for tomorrow. Give me patience... right now! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Great looks like someone's gonna have fun. how much plywood was that ?

J

3. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Actually not much plywood. Most of the wood is cheap pine, like the four long rods. The fork and the small base plate, the shock absorbers at the top above the rubber cushions plus the trigger foot pedal are 18mm ply, and the sled is made from very cheap 9mm ply I found in the rest box at my local DIY store very inexpensively.

4. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

The perspective on that bottom picture makes it look like it could reach the moon! Very NASA-like.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Beautiful sight!

maybe some concrete tiles
    could add some extra stability
    to the base?

I'm really looking forward to
    Video-footage of this fun!

thanks in advance for the
    HQ-Entertainment!

Be

6. Obl1v1Aus

Obl1v1Aus Meh!

If only fireworks were legal here!
    And best Bob Dylan inspired thread title ever!

7. artons

artons New Member

you should definitively work with NASA
    it looks amazing!

8. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hi Jörg,

will those non-modified cheap sticks of the rockets
    (IMHO working as a counter-weight /ballast)
    stand stand the serious pressure
    delivered by the bands? (I am not quite sure..)

Although maybe even spectacular pictures might be taken,
    I guess everybody does not want you to experience a
    surface to surface "event"!

Good success to you,

Be

9. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

So far my "dry" tests worked OK, no sticks broke. But if it happens it happens. After all these are class 2 fireworks, means they are safe even if they explode close to a person. Such fireworks are handled by completely drunk people every year, thousandfold, and lots of accidents happen. Therefore they must be that way.

I won't put on stronger bands though. This is now about 25 kg draw weight, about 53 lb. But the acceleration is long, a power stroke of 187 cm, total draw length is 235 cm.

10. Tubes

Tubes weird kid in the corner

Sweet Jesus- take cover

11. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

That resolution did not last long... I couldn't resist and doubled up the rubber.

The rocket survived, the sled did not... it broke on impact. Have to reinforce it with aluminum I guess.

But that rocket flew.... man.

12. kohlqez

kohlqez Accident-Prone

I'd be interested to see how "harmless" they are. Maybe fire one into ballistics gelatin just for old times sake?
    And I'm thinking this has a potential Zombie movie application as a flare beacon. Maybe you could be in trouble and send up a flare for your allies to return, or it could be a zombie distracting flare to draw attention away from your base

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I'm looking forward to seeing the video. Ich wuenche euch ein guten Rutsch ins neuen Jahr.

14. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Here is a dry fire preview, with the old sled and the weak bands. Now I have doubled up the rubber and made a new sled, reinforced with aluminum.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFgHM-PK36E[/ame]

15. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

Oh, this is going to be good. This is one of experiments I've been looking forward to the most. I've always enjoyed model rockets, so this is right up my alley. Can't wait for the actual firing video. Man, I wish we could get fireworks like that here. It does make me wonder if you could do this using a model rocket with a regular motor rather than a firework. The only issue would be how to ignite the motor after it's launched. Hmmm, I may have to think about this.

16. Can-Opener

Can-Opener New Member

Ha Ha, you love dangerous stuff! could hardly tell by your big grin! :) Have fun looking forward to the live launch! :)

17. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

I think it will be not very complicated. Ignite the fuse, wait until it has burned down most of it´s lenghts and then start the slingshot. The force of the rocketmotor will be added to the power of the rubber.

18. JoergS

JoergS Administrator

Well, I can already tell you that the rockets have a tendency of falling apart from the sudden acceleration... some are holding OK, others not so much. Also the fuses aren't nearly reliable in terms of delay time.

19. What a beast! Looks like a ton of fun boss man.

20. bob11

bob11 New Member

i'l be facing to Germany this newjearseve