After the Newbie Challenge

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by JimRhodo, Jan 20, 2014.

1. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Now for something slightly different:

5cm 10cm and 20cm targets from 5 metres 10 metres and 20 metres.
    1. Still using 16mm marbles.
    2. Still using Dankung slingshot.
    3. Concentrating on consistent form rather than accuracy.
    4. Recording accuracy once a week.
    5. For one month only.
    6. Shoot once or maybe thrice and change distance.

Start tomorrow if weather holds.

Attached Files:

2. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

:)

So, happy with where you are at after a month? You certainly seem to be heading in the right direction with a lot more confidence.

Keep it up!

3. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Day 1

5cm 10cm 20cm targets from 5 10 and 20 metres using 16mm marbles and the odd 8mm steel with a double tube. Chinese style catapult.

At 5m: H:4 G:3 0:2 (44%)
    At 10m using 10cm target: H:2 G:0 0:3 (40%)
    At 20m using 20cm target: H:1 (but it hit 5cm target) G:1 0:5+ (14%)

Much fun to be had rotating the distances. Lost loads of ammo as tree hits weren't uncommon!

Plan:
    Get a sheet and catch some of that ammo.
    Simplify the scoring (if you can hit 5cm at 20m who needs a scaled up target?)

Attached Files:

4. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Happy with progress after a month?

Initially I was frustrated that I couldn't push past 40% after 8 weeks. I was thinking "the cat I've chosen is too difficult to master" " I'm just plain rubbish and I was never very good at football either" "I don't have the time the patience the aptitude (insert word of choice) to do this"

And then common sense arrived on a white horse,
    "seems to me you are just learning slingshot stuff isn't it ? if so train yourself at least for a year....bottle caps are the target to train AT DIFFERENT DISTANCES if you want to (my words) be consistently accurate."
    cheers
    Arturo.

Writing in a different context but I had two thoughts:
    Arturo I love you.
    A YEAR! What is the rush? I am enjoying the incremental improvements and like a lot of things in life there are plateaus set backs and easy to miss victories.

The Dankung P.T. is difficult to master but not impossible. I've had moments when I could have hit a match box blindfolded. Not many but consistency takes practice and I'm 47 not 17.

When I read Dolo hitting bottle caps at what, 7 metres? I had to remind myself he wudnae have started out like that and I even quoted you when I started out,
    "start with nice large targets at close range."

I had to first be realistic after drinking in the exploits of Bill Hays, Thorsten, Gamekeeper John and a host of You Tube "supermen" before I even held my first eBay death cat.

So yes, when I get my eyes off others who have already put in their "dirt time" to become spectacular shots I am pleased with my progress after a month.

5. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Absolute must read from Scooby

Importance of practice - A book recommendation

Quoted from Scooby

"When you start any sport/hobby/pastime its very easy to get disheartened when you see people who have been doing it for years making it look easy. I was watching videos by Joerg, Arturo and Gamekeeper John and they were always in the back of my mind when I missed a shot.

I recently got given a copy of a book by my stepdad called Bounce by Matthew Syed. Syed is a former world number 1 Table Tennis player who has come up with a really good way of looking at sport and any skill really.

He basically says that there is no such thing as 'natural' talent and it all boils down to applied and relevant practice, and thats the important thing. The practice has to be structured.

Im not going to write an essay on the book but I thought it was really interesting (and easy to read, its not a dry, scientific text) especially with a few threads recently about levels of skill, practice etc and thought that some people would find it interesting "

You can read the first chapter for free here:

http://www.waterstones.com/wat/images/special/pdf/9780007350520.pdf

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  6. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Just for contrast when I was a teenager, I learned to shoot really well through constant practice. i took my slingshot along with me almost every day after school.

Mostly I shot at targets of opportunity. you name it, I probably took a shot at it. I somehow practiced enough to become very accurate. I was the only slingshot guy in my city neighborhood, and my friends were amazed at the shots i could make at whatever they would suggest.

I found that the most difficult shots were to hit something on the ground. tougher to compensate for trajectory when you can't judge the distance the same way you are used to.

Now I'm older and haven't been shooting as much over the last few decades. Not sure how well my aim will be next time out but the first shot or two is usually dead on.

So my advice is to not concentrate so much on getting accurate as fast as you can, but to shoot more often at many different targets which are of varying distances and height. Like a new driver needs to get some seat time under his belt.

You can bet I'll be practicing real soon.

7. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Week 2 Day 1

It's been blowin a hooley (very wet and windy) round here so shooting when I can. Cold and shivery today but at least it wasn't windy.

5cm 10cm and 20cm targets from 5m 10m and 20m using white glass 16mm marbles with the same Dankung slingshot. one shot and rotate.
    Also did a 10 marble Newbie challenge to see how I was doing.

5m: H:2 G:5 0:1 (25%)
    10m: H:2 G:2 0:4 (25%)
    20m: H:1 G:1 0:6 (12.5%)

The Challenge was difficult to assess as the grouping hole was where all the latter shots went. So x stands for shots that either hit the target or just grazed but went in the group hole anyway.

5m: H:2 G:1 0:1 X:6 (20% or 80% at best)

I'm also taking buckshot's advice and having a go at other things to loosen up a bit.

8. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

The group

Attached Files:

9. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Week 3 Day 1

Unusual day. My semi secret location has been rumbled. Park keeper climbed over the wall to see what the bam bam bam noise was. Wasn't too bothered but his boss may be as I am close to a Garden of Rest and a cemetery. Hopefully I will be tolerated as I clear up the cans bottles and plastic bags left by other users.

5cm 10cm and 20cm targets from 5m 10m and 20m with 16mm white glass marbles and a dankung pocket thunder. Slightly less powerful bands which is taking some getting used to. Damp weather but not too breezy.

Wasn't keeping score. Plenty of air time.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbz1Rnek0qM&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]
    Just the last shot from an awful lot of footage

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. smallbore

smallbore New Member

Good Commitment, loooks like you have been having fun!

11. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Thanks smallbore. Welcome to the forum. Hope you get a usable slingshot soon. You will get lots of help from everybody.

12. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Week 4 Day 5

Wet cold day. Aiming point needed elevating to compensate for reduced elasticity of tubes. Forgot about concentrating on hitting the target and looked to making sure I was maintaining constant form.

Angle of feet and body to target. Loading ammo in pouch. Pouch position on index finger. Thumb next. Breath. Relax. Anchor. Align tubes. Aim. Relax. Exhale and release. Follow ammo to target with eyes.

Sometimes I hit. Sometimes I didnae. Felt great.

5cm 10cm and 20cm targets at 5m 10m and 20m using 16mm glass with Dankung catapult.

5m: H:3 G:3 0:3 (33% accuracy)
    10m: H:1 G:5 0:1 (11% accuracy)
    20m: H:0 G:3 0:6 (0% accuracy)

Tree hits: loads
    Lost ammo: 3/4
    Power: poor. Sometimes even good shots just bounced off the cardboard.

Roll on the day I get my ammo catch sorted.

13. VWscooby

VWscooby Senior Member

I haven't really commented on these threads but just wanted to say that they are really interesting and useful to read. I really need to get a regime like this sorted.

14. WildBill

WildBill The Silly Song Guy

The extreme cold made me more conscious of my form today, but as a result I was hitting very well. For me, once I knew my form was good, I then focused on slaying the Coke can that was swinging in the wind. I went so far as to calculate in my mind the time for the ammo to reach it so that it would be center when my hex nut got there. Once I was in that mindset, the form was not an issue since it was already taken care of and my accuracy was higher than ever before.

-Wild Bill

15. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Damascus moment.

It was only when Joerg said,
    "All that counts is that you throw it the same way every time."
    that something clicked.
    When Ghosth and Arturo said there was some good grouping on some of my targets I couldn't see why it was good (but its not on target! Thought I). I kept changing what I did because I was looking for perfect form ie one that meant I hit the target rather than getting consistent.

So now I am just trying to do the same thing each time whether I hit or not. Predictability is my new Holy Grail. Bill Hayes and Ghosth were I think saying much the same thing.

And that's what I love about this forum: so much experience willingly shared with kindness and good humour.

16. JimRhodo

JimRhodo Junior Member

Week 4 Last Day

[ame]http://youtu.be/S494HQHFePE[/ame]

All the hope of consistency dashed. Two white marbles saved for and lost at 20 metres. A couple of 8mm steels. A handful of stones. So no consistency of ammo.

So for the final day:
    5cm 10cm 20cm targets at 5 10 and 20 metres. Tried to keep good form. Persevered in the rain when tubes seemed to get even weaker. Targets overexposed on my camera so not even sure of scoring.

Next stop save some ammo with an ammo catch.

17. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

First point, I don't even TRY for accuracy shooting long range. If I got it close, I'm happy.
    Double the range, difficulty probably quadruples. So what is easy at 5m becomes a hail mary shot at 20m.

As to your "groupings" I used to teach firearm safety to 12 year old children.
    Hardest thing to do on the range was to get them to shoot consistently.

Easiest thing to teach is to take someone who has a nice grouping of shots that happens to be off to one side, or low, high etc, and teach them how to correct and "hold" so they hit center. Now these are on .22 rifles, mostly iron sights, that are capable of shooting 3" groups at 100 yards with a good shooter. Line up 10 beer bottles at 25 yards and they would hit 9 out of 10 times with even a 12 year old at the trigger.

With slingshots, it is much MUCH tougher. But the principles remain similar if not the same.

One of your earlier vids should a grapefruit sized "group" 4 inches high and right of center.

Rather than change your form, how you hold your slingshot, release, change your aim point and "walk" those rounds into the center. Give yourself a new aimpoint 4 " left of center and aim at it, see if you hit target.

You are the weapon, it shoots where you point it. If it isn't hitting where your pointing it, perhaps your pointing it at the wrong spot?

Jim even with mixed ammo, rough weather, you are attempting (and succeeding more often than not) much harder shots than I try. I have low expectations, and don't push myself. Personally I think you surpassed me at shooting a month back, and I should be asking you for advice.

Relax and enjoy it, and find yourself some cheap ammo!

18. WildBill

My camera is on the fritz but here's my tally today-

5/16" hex nuts at 10 meters (yup, I increased the range), natural moorhammer, 20 shots- 9 hits, 3 graze, 8 misses.

And I agree with Ghosth- I now aim with my knees and feet, not my upper torso.

-Wild Bill

19. Arturo Borquez

Arturo Borquez Administrator

good news guys ! happy to know about your improvements ... btw please don't take too seriously my "method", I am not a trainer and still don't know well what I do, so not much insights from me, my aiming is a way different on what competition target shooters do I guess, I focus my sight over the target and the bands projection ?, I like a clean sight to target and that's why I shoot very narrow forks, just point, wait that magic moment "it's all OK" and release, if I let pass that moment most of the times I miss LOL !
    Arturo

20. WildBill

"Zen and the art of slingshooting" by the Chilean prophet of slingshots, Arturo Borquez. I'll buy a copy of that book on Amazon.com.

-Wild Bill