Advice please:open pores and aluminum cores

Discussion in 'General Slingshot Discussions' started by Slagskimmer Mike, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Slagskimmer Mike

Slagskimmer Mike thinks TBG smells better than roses

Doing my first board cut with a thin Al core.
    I think I recall someone saying they sealed up the wood with something to keep Al dust out.

I believe I am working mahogany, and after making a mess with sanding I got all the Al out with 100grit going one way only with all fresh paper.

Does anyone remember a link about sealing, or have any general info on open cell wood types and techniques?.

Any tricks would be very helpful.:cool:

2. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I've only done 2 ally core projects, one with oak and purpleheart and one with oak and cherry. Both came out good and I just sanded the wood and ally separately with different pieces of paper, no sealing.

3. Flipgun

Flipgun Well-Known Member

I think that sealing the wood is why Joerg uses chrome polish on the wood.

4. Lacumo

Lacumo Member

You don’t want to seal the wood surface that’s going to get glued to the aluminum. To ensure a good glue job, it’s advisable to abrade (with sandpaper or steel wool) both of the surfaces that are going to be glued so the glue has a better (more irregular) surface to grab onto. Also advisable to clean off the metal surface with acetone, mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol (and then let it air-dry) so you know you’ve removed all traces of oil, grease and other impurities that may adversely affect the gluing job. Good luck with it!

5. Slagskimmer Mike

This slingshot is already laminated together with 2 part epoxy (the stinky kind--i envy you Be!).
    I did scuff the Al good, and the wood is unfinished.
    Sounds like you guys get everything machined up and polished up before gluing.

This is my first pfs build too, so I wanted to be able to refine the shape more after I get to shoot it some.
    Thanks for the replies.

6. dolomite

dolomite Banned

I did the glue up then final shaping with a spindle sander. On final sanding I used separate pieces of paper so I wouldn't rub aluminum dust into the wood.

7. Slagskimmer Mike

i'll put a pic up when I get back to my home.

Thanks Dolo! I'll probably do exactly what you did with the clean paper idea.

If anyone has experience with sanding sealer, I'm wondering how that would work out, too.