Acid Washed Saw Blade Knife With Blue Cypress Handle

Discussion in 'Knives, Swords, and other bladed weapons' started by Bighaze51, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Bighaze51

Bighaze51 Professional Amateur Dude

This is my first time venturing over to this side of the forum. I'm a knife freak and you'd think I would've come over before now. I'm looking forward to seeing some sweet blades.
    I cut this blank from a circular saw blade a while back and just never did anything with it. Last night I just kept thinking about it so I decided to finish it today. I had put some muriatic acid on it last week to form some rust for a different project and ended up forgetting about it. This morning I sanded the blade with a sanding wheel for a side grinder and made the primary bevel as well. I then cut out some scales from a small peice of blue cypress my friend gave me a couple years ago. The pins are from an 1/8th inch toggle bolt so there are plenty of ridges for the epoxy to hold. Then I filed the scales down and sanded and finished like my slingshots, BLO and CA glue. Buffed and polished. I like this knife. I'll sharpen her up tomorrow. Hope you like it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

i love it all, especially the handle!

3. BeMahoney

BeMahoney Builder of things

Hey BigOne,

You are working on my urge to build a forge and make a knife!
    I just received my grinding machine, a Tormek T7 :)
    With a hard silicon stone and a japanese one, grit 1000.....

And with a little practice I shall be able to approach your skills ;)
    ..maybe in 2016?...

I like what you build!

best regards,

Be

4. Ghosth

Ghosth Over the hill but still swinging!

Saw blades, wow, great idea, I have a number of them, includeing a 10" wood cutoff/miter saw blade I never use.

Yours came out very nice indeed!

5. Bighaze51

Thanks guys! As much as I've grown to love slingshots, knives have always been my primary obsession. The only thing with circular saw blades is that some of them don't use good steel. Supposedly you want to stay away from the ones that have carbide tips. They use inferior steels. But this one seems pretty tough. We shall see if she keeps an edge. I also built a file knife a few years ago that I was never quite happy with. But after finding the side grinder sanding wheel and my newly squired skills from slingshot building and finishing, she's a keeper. I'll post that one up later. Cheers fellas!

6. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

7. LW

LW New Member

Looks very nice, a very nice and useful design, that’s how I like it. No useless finger guard between blade and handle, Blade start directly after the Handle, with a very small Ricasso for a better and easy sharpening.

Ones again, nice work!

8. onnod

onnod Im from Holland, isnt that weird?

9. Bighaze51

Thanks for the kindness! Unfortunately, there is a soft spot in the blade that just won't take an edge. My buddy is supposed to get me a MAP gas torch so I gotta take it apart and heat treat it. So, aparently the saw blade was NOT hardened or I messed it up while grinding it down. Oh well.

10. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

That's a great knife BigHaze! I guess my planned question has already come to light - whether or not you had to do any heat treating of the metal. I guess we'll find out once you get the MAP gas/torch. I'd love to try something like this, but I don't know how I'd handle any of the heat treating necessary. So, I'll just have to watch and enjoy.

11. AngelicScars

AngelicScars MILF of the board

This is great! I love it!

12. Otees

Otees Another Member

Great job mate!