Accidentally Making Thermite While Casting (4500 Degrees!)

Discussion in 'Show off your homemades!' started by The Art Of Weapons, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Well this was an eventful casting........
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F21SKWKJJL4[/ame]
    Thermite is Dangerous! I am really lucky that nothing worse happened and i am posting this video to hopefully help stop anyone from making the same mistake! enjoy!

2. codido187

codido187 New Member

The question is now how did it create thermite I'm new to smelting and I'm smelting aluminum what caused it to create thermite???

3. The rust in the inside of the steel tube contains iron oxide that reacts with the alm to make iron thermite
    I think...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

4. beaverIII73

beaverIII73 Junior Member

Failures suck man. I just had a good one. I was making a stacked leather handle for I new knife I have been working on. I epoxy resin I used never set and all of the leather is trashed. And I used the the same batch of resin on a peace of micarta, also trashed. But I had a new idea for I handle that I want to try. So its all good. And you SS turned out excellent. We live and we learn.

5. codido187

codido187 New Member

Geeze that is scary taow I'm glad your ok. So should I sand down any pipes before I hear them.

And damn beaver that sucks I like your knives man they're really good

6. Yep I didnt really know what to do when it all happened and it sucked that all of my stuff wes brocken
    Also that sucks about the epoxy
    I like to use fibreglass resin because as long as u add even just a couple of drops of hardener it will set eventually , just takes time

7. codido187

codido187 New Member

You have in spired me to melt things taow and I'm going melt me an aluminum ss soon

8. cool!
    but remember to stay safe!

9. codido187

codido187 New Member

I shall taow

One more question how many rolls of aluminum do think it would take to make one slingshot

10. Antraxx

Antraxx #7

I like how your parents won´t let you trade but do that kind of stuff around your house :D

But you learn from mistakes, i think we have to expect a lot of awesome stuff from you in the future ;)

11. Thanks!!!
    Yep that is one thing that I am starting to question!

12. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Isn't thermite iron oxide .... Try titanium it cost a lot but I won't melt from thermite because it's melting point is hire than thermites "reaction" point :p

J

13. mvd

mvd Builds with scrap

The thermite reaction is iron oxide reacting with aluminium to aluminium oxide and iron, giving of a whole lot of thermal energy.
    Also the fire extinguisher would not have worked on the reaction itself.
    Also, titanium will melt, as its melting temp is about 1600°C.
    Stay safe.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  14. xXdoomXx

xXdoomXx Junior threadjacker ag. J

Oh I thought I heard 10 k :p sorry

J

15. buckshot500

buckshot500 Hoonigan Jeeper

Wow, that's pretty scary!

I was glad to hear you mention this could have been prevented with the use of a magnet to check your aluminum for any steel. Sometimes things like motorcycle engine engine parts have steel pins and threaded inserts that need to be removed first.

Your craftsmanship is exemplary!

16. RegulusRubber

RegulusRubber Junior Member

It´s bad when something went wrong but I don´t think it was a thermite reaction. A thermite reaction needs a mixture of 1 part aluminum and approx. 3 parts of rust. I don´t believe that your meltingpot contains so much rust. It was a simple but also dangerous aluminum fire. It´s a known problem in casting aluminum.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnDjENmSIn0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnDjENmSIn0[/ame]