Accident

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sasukee303, Sep 29, 2013.

1. sasukee303

sasukee303 New Member

Hello. I shooted today with my Theraband gold slingshot and in the moment i shooted the ball didnt fly away no it was in the pouch and hit me at my stomage. Why this happend? The bands were straight and i holded the slingshot in the right position.

2. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

seems you had your first experience with a rts (return to sender) shot.

most likely is your bands were not well balanced with the ammo weight or the pouch was too big or had an odd shape like a bowl.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

3. dolomite

dolomite Banned

sasukee, I can't say why it happens. Sometimes if the ammo is too heavy, sometimes too light. I had a strange one that put me off stickshots for good. I'd been shooting for a while with no issues, ammo was going where it was supposed to then on the last shot as I released I heared a whoosh by my face and a thundering bang as the steel ball hit my roll up door behind me. It was at eye level and around 4-6 inches to the left. I'd just concentrate on clean release and making sure the bands have the proper power for the ammo.
    cheers
    Dolo

4. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

its caused by the pouch turning over/around the ammo before the ammo has left the pouch. with too strong AND too weak bands. the bands whip back and the ammo will be released too late but fortunately with less power than on the way forward. still not good for your eyes if they aren't protected.

to avoid rts's make the pouch as small and symmetric as possible. use ttf binding or wider forks, don't shoot edgy ammo, make a center hole into the pouch, avoid flipping and take care for a clean release.

use lighter but bigger round ammo at the beginning until you got used to slingshooting and build up muscle memory.

5. sasukee303

sasukee303 New Member

I think it was the balance of the pouch, because i put some electric tape over the knot that connect the pouch with the Bands. And on one side are 4 stripes, on the other ist just one stripe.

I am happy that that the stone just hit my stomach and made a bruise. I think if the Stone hit my head this would be very dangerous.

6. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

don't shoot stones, please! make you some clay balls or practise with compressed aluminium-foil-balls or foam-ear-plugs first.

there's no need to use electric tape. you cannot trust it anyhow to secure a knot over elastic bands. also you're not able to see what's going on under the tape. it's important to take a look at the bands/knots/bindings before pulling on them.

7. Alukuchen

Alukuchen Senior Member

I once had the same experience and never since. I was shooting a saunders hawk and somehow hit myself damn hard in the stomach. It was extremely painful and I had a giant bruise.
    I was shooting stones, too!

8. MaddyMax

MaddyMax New Member

i do shoot stones sometimes because i don't want to shoot marbles, steel balls or lead on a hike in the woods. i know, they are a "cheap source" but it's not worth the risk you take. i would never recommend shooting them. i got plenty of fork hits and rts 'till i knew how to relatively safe shoot them and just had luck that no serious damage happend. often it's better to learn from the mistakes the others make. you'll know if a stove is hot when someone else put his hand on it.

i only shoot ROUND ones and even they are not always well shaped for putting them the right way into the pouch. you really have to know what you do while shooting them. it just takes a bit of less concentration or a bit of shivering or bad release or too much flipping and fun is over.

9. Jeremy

Jeremy Senior member who totally rocks a pink Scout! Pink

I agree, don't shoot rocks. I did when I was younger but I don't plan to anymore. Getting the white Trumark or regular glass marbles are cheap enough to use as practice ammo.

10. sasukee303

sasukee303 New Member

11. Withak

Withak aka Whitehawk!

The general consensus I've seen in interacting with folks here, is that it's best to shoot the most consistent (round) ammo you can. I experienced a pretty nasty hand strike a few weeks ago shooting a rock that wasn't uniformly shaped - it drew blood and left a nice bruise as a reminder. As Jeremy pointed out, you can find ammo like Trumark, or head to a toy store and buy a big bag of marbles. Steel ball ammo, which is a preference of mine, can be found for reasonable prices if you look around a bit. I've found good deals on bulk stuff on places like Ebay. Whatever you do, make sure you avoid really odd shaped stuff. I've seen that stuff take a curve on a long shot and really miss a target.

12. Ryan Wigglesworth

Ryan Wigglesworth Senior Member

one time i made a stick shooter and didnt attach paracord to the pouch... it took me 2 attempts before i decided something was wrong .